Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wet Synthetic Sleeping Bag

Re: Wet Synthetic Sleeping Bag

It sounds like you need a new bag. But for future considerations I find it helps to sleep with a thin merino layer on and sleep with the bag unzipped rather than sleep in your ginch with the bag fully zipped. Bare skin against the thin synthetic bag material tends to cause sweat no matter what the fill is. That coupled with with eating 500% of your recommended sodium every day in those Mounatin House meals causes your body to do some strange things.

Synthetic bags do not last forever, and even less time if they aren’t washed properly on a reasonably regular basis. A good quality down bag with Gore Tex outer is always the way to go. My Marmot bag (-18*) is 20+ years old and I’ve never had a problem with sweat. In hotter weather I have to leave it unzipped, but that’s true of any bag rated the same. As posted above, the newer waterproof down, in a Gore Tex bag is the way to go. If you are doing 14 day trips regularly, you will be wanting a very good quality bag. Be prepared to spend the bigger dollars. Nobody ever regretted buying quality products!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

are you peeing the bed?

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    are you peeing the bed?
    LMFFAO ! spit my coffee out ! Thanks for that one Scott ! RJ

Try a silk sleeping bag liner
    BCWF
    WSSOBC-Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    I'd have to guess that your bag definitely isn't breathing properly, and like noted above, the rain gear inside the bag would have more negative then positive affects I'd think.

I spent the last 8 days on the North Coast, in super wet conditions, I made the mistake of not properly re treating my boots before heading up but luckily packed 2 pairs of socks. Every day I switched socks as they were getting wet, as well as the synthetic booties I had. I boiled water, put it in a soft platypus, put it in my sock, which then went into my synthetic booty which then went into the bottom of my synthetic bag(kind of like a turducken idea). By the end of the day, the socks, booties, and bottom of bag was dry and water was still a bit warm.
    Great idea... I boil my water before bed and put it in a 2 litre nalgene bottle. Keeps you pretty toasty warm for a couple hours and safe water to drink in the morning when you get up....

I think my problem was that I would sleep in my wet and dirty hunting gear. After hearing about the re-warming drill, I decided to sleep in my moist-wet hunting gear so that I would wake up nice and dry and not have to put on wet clothes to go and glass on a ridge in the morning. I am thinking that doing this regularly probably destroyed my 200 dollar mountain hardware lamina bag. I am thinking the breathability got affected seeing as I never washed the bag either. Between everyones post, I have been able to soak in lots of tips moving forward. I appreciate the experience/tips/knowledge from people.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    I think my problem was that I would sleep in my wet and dirty hunting gear. After hearing about the re-warming drill, I decided to sleep in my moist-wet hunting gear so that I would wake up nice and dry and not have to put on wet clothes to go and glass on a ridge in the morning. I am thinking that doing this regularly probably destroyed my 200 dollar mountain hardware lamina bag. I am thinking the breathability got affected seeing as I never washed the bag either. Between everyones post, I have been able to soak in lots of tips moving forward. I appreciate the experience/tips/knowledge from people.
    You now have answered your own question ! NEVER EVER sleep in wet Gear - where is all that moisture water gonna go ? RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    You now have answered your own question ! NEVER EVER sleep in wet Gear - where is all that moisture water gonna go ? RJ
    Well it worked for a while! Went to sleep wet and woke up dry on many nights. Used the synthetic bag properties to dry my gear. Check out the re-warming drill by John Barklow - made me rethink my layering and sleeping systems.

The major moisture issues happened sleeping in dry, synthetic base layers. I think sleeping in wet-dirty gear affected the breathability of the bag, but there could be other factors as well.

it's good to know the rewarming drill, but I consider that to be emergency survival, I don't think that is a smart practice for regular usage...very likely could have contributed to your bag losing breathability, and then your last camping trip in the right conditions just exposed the issue more

sometimes i'll put a wet shirt or socks down into the feet of my bag while I sleep, and will dry it good enough while I sleep....but heavy raingear that is soaked I would never put in the bag

whether or not it looks dirty, I wash my sleeping bag after every hunting season, and using whatever soap the manufacturer recommends (right now using Nikiwax tech wash)...and always store the bag out of the compression sack
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster