Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolverines of the interior?

Wolverines of the interior?

I was out lookin for sheds with the doggo today and I always start close to home down low and work my way up from one area I see deer regularly during the winter. Didnt find any antlers but the dog got onto a smell and wouldnt leave it, she looked very interested so I went to take a look and found three patches of fur, two with good pieces of skin attached, not fresh but not old at all. Ive seen two wolverines in my life and the colour immediately was noticeable to me. Now convince me that this fur is not wolverine. The colour is unique, very very soft, stank like a mean ol critter. Could not find any more remains even when I searched with the dog but I found it under a decent tree only 20 yds from a road, I suspect it might have been roadkill and is still under the snow in the ditch and I will most certainly be back for to look. Any one else seen Wolverines in the interior of BC? What else could it be?
    Last edited by Firstblood; 10-30-2023 at 02:39 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolverines of the interior?

Yes there are wolverines in the interior.
    They travel great distances.

My brother killed one many moons ago in the interior that was under their camper fighting with their dog.

Several years ago, they collared one in central Washington.
    It headed north across the border into Ashnola, crossed Hwy 3.....past Hedly and Princeton, swam the Thompson and then the Frazier. It eventually got killed by a cougar in the high country behind Lillooet.

One also showed up on one of the tcams for the Southern Interior Mule deer project. It’s on their calendar.

There aren’t many around but they are here.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

interesting find, wolverines do seem to have a distinct smell, i guess depending from what part of the body the hair/fur comes from but i dont find them to be very soft.
    There was a study in Alberta and they had a few pics of some with some pretty incredable damage to them and were still running around, ones head was pretty much
    striped of hair, nose split open etc could have been from fighting another animal or maybe a trap across the head that it got out of.
    Will be interesting if you find more.

The trapper I give my coyotes to has gotten at least six of them in the last 2 winters. They're incredible animals. He gave my son a skull from one, we are going to get it cleaned up and bleached this spring
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Watched one on the gutpile of a bull I'd shot the day before. Sikanni Chief River area. Impressive.

I love those wolverines ! The Little Grizzly !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Amazing critters, they are all over the place.. I have ran into them in my hunting grounds and surprisingly frequently see badgers as well

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I've seen 3 of them up near Bobtail Lake, West of PG. Digging in an old fire pit. Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I saw 2 one evening on the way back to Moose Camp in 3-39. They were on the same road several kms apart. I also watched one drag a deer carcass across a slope down into a gully in 3-12. Cool critters for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    I was out lookin for sheds with the doggo today and I always start close to home down low and work my way up from one area I see deer regularly during the winter. Didnt find any antlers but the dog got onto a smell and wouldnt leave it, she looked very interested so I went to take a look and found three patches of fur, two with good pieces of skin attached, not fresh but not old at all. Ive seen two wolverines in my life, one near here up in Sun Peaks and the colour immediately was noticeable to me. Now convince me that this fur is not wolverine. The colour is unique, very very soft, stank like a mean ol critter. Could not find any more remains even when I searched with the dog but I found it under a decent tree only 20 yds from a road, I suspect it might have been roadkill and is still under the snow in the ditch and I will most certainly be back for to look. Any one else seen Wolverines in the interior of BC? What else could it be?
    Havent seen any wolverines could that be fox hair from the calico fox i saw where you went shed huntingg today?

Seen two badgers about 2km from where you where today