Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on reloading, with an older rifle ?

Re: Thoughts on reloading, with an older rifle ?

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    You ask for Opinions - Help and then its a secret to what your shooting ? RJ
    Now where is that “like” button?

Two people have asked what calibre he’s shooting and he won’t say.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I have one too. Great round, a 140 at 3200 is ballistic magic. Just look at the charts. That's why Winchester brought it out, they had read the charts. I haven't shot mine much, being aware of the possibility of throat erosion . In the early days they got a lot of hard use with varmint rounds, so that was one aspect. I was thinking about this earlier today. Another thing, Olin wasn't able to make a specialty powder like mother DuPont did for Remington and it 's 7mmRM. So the powder was faster burning and more and likely hotter. The F-Class guys are hard on their barrels, 15 or 20 at a time, and the smaller 6.5-284 only lasts under a 1000 rounds for them.

If you are careful, it's meaningless. It's not the rifle for gopher town, though.

The 264 Win Mag barrel burner reputation comes from early days of varminters shooting lighter bullets, fast burning powder, and steel quality/construction. It was probably a relevant argument 40 or 50 years ago.

It’s one heck of a hunting cartridge. I’d own one but it’d make my poor little 6.5 Creedmoor feel left out.

closer to 60 years ago. While the 6.5mm s have always been a passing fads in North America, there have been numerous 6.5s over the years , here are few off the top of my head, 6.5x55,260,256Newton, 6.5-06, 6.5RM. 6.5-284, 6.5x57. 6.5x57Rimmed, 26Nosler, 6.5x54 , 6.5Arisaka . I'm sure I missed a few. As a reloader you can access them all.

wierd thread.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Hi RJ

yes I keep it quiet in my original post as I don’t want a ballistics argument. But here it comes.
    I shoot a savage model 99c in 308, given to me by my dad when I was 16, I’m 58 now.

I don't think a HUNTER can shoot out a barrel out of a .308 in two or three lifetimes. .308's used for hunting will last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Leveraction View Post
    Hi RJ

yes I keep it quiet in my original post as I don’t want a ballistics argument. But here it comes.
    I shoot a savage model 99c in 308, given to me by my dad when I was 16, I’m 58 now.
    Hi I would not think you would BURN that Sav 99 barrel in 308 Win unless you repeatly shot it so Fast it got RED Hot ! LOL I would estimate you should be good for a FEW thousand round's ! jmo RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Leveraction View Post
    Hi RJ

I have the exact same rifle. It is very accurate with almost any factory ammo.

I hand load for it but nothing that has ever exceeded factory ammo. Keep the barrel cool when testing loads at the range, it’ll last forever.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Nope !

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !