I’d like the advice/ opinion of several members here please.

I’ve hunted this coming season (2021 ) 42 years.
in that entire time I have never reloaded my own rounds.
During those years Ive shot federal, Remington, hornady , and having choice will stay with Remington.
I group within a tennis ball out to 250 yards, and site in 2-3 inches above dead centre.
I have good results and am pleased with how my rifle performs/scope perform ( new scope this year though )
Ive also taken my fair share of animals so am not unpleased.

Shooting 500-800 yards, is not me and never will be for the simple reason that at that distance the cross hairs on my scope blot out 75% of the animal, and in addition my heart beat bumps me off target, and I know this happens to Many others as well. I’m going to change up to a vortex for this coming season, still doing research on choice.
for reloading : it looks like a very cool hobby, and from what I’ve read increases accuracy, and gives you a little more distance and not that that is my objective here,

I prefer hunting with an older piece of Iron, it’s a little heavier, walnut stock, no synthetic stock or lightweight metals.
A friend did say if your gonna reload, you will increase your accuracy, gain some distance, tightened groups over factory rounds, but all that comes with a hotter load and can burn a barrel out on older guns rather quickly.

so my question Gents is : is this true ?, can I burn out a barrel on my 45 year old rifle.