Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on reloading, with an older rifle ?

Thoughts on reloading, with an older rifle ?

I’d like the advice/ opinion of several members here please.

I’ve hunted this coming season (2021 ) 42 years.
    in that entire time I have never reloaded my own rounds.
    During those years Ive shot federal, Remington, hornady , and having choice will stay with Remington.
    I group within a tennis ball out to 250 yards, and site in 2-3 inches above dead centre.
    I have good results and am pleased with how my rifle performs/scope perform ( new scope this year though )
    Ive also taken my fair share of animals so am not unpleased.

Shooting 500-800 yards, is not me and never will be for the simple reason that at that distance the cross hairs on my scope blot out 75% of the animal, and in addition my heart beat bumps me off target, and I know this happens to Many others as well. I’m going to change up to a vortex for this coming season, still doing research on choice.
    for reloading : it looks like a very cool hobby, and from what I’ve read increases accuracy, and gives you a little more distance and not that that is my objective here,

I prefer hunting with an older piece of Iron, it’s a little heavier, walnut stock, no synthetic stock or lightweight metals.
    A friend did say if your gonna reload, you will increase your accuracy, gain some distance, tightened groups over factory rounds, but all that comes with a hotter load and can burn a barrel out on older guns rather quickly.

so my question Gents is : is this true ?, can I burn out a barrel on my 45 year old rifle.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on reloading, with an older rifle ?

What caliber are you shooting currently?
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Sent you a pm

Burning out barrels is possible but unlikely in a hunting rifle. What cartridge and what rifle ?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I regularly shoot rifles that are from the WW 1 , that will put them at over 100 years old if my math is correct. Barrel steel , if you go by what the military expected then, were good for thousands of rounds. That's with hot burning, nasty powders that they had. Where the barrel burning comes from are small bores with big cases, the classic example is the 264 Winchester Magnum , even the 243 will do damage. With my favourite, the 264, you can expect a 1000 round life. That means allowing the barrel to cool. That is one of the worst cases. If anything reloads may prolong the life by using a cooler burning but more expensive powder. Stainless will last a little longer, but not that great a deal more.

Reloading is rocket science you can work with. And it's a voyage of discovery. A Blast.

I hear you on wood and blue, these modern rifles are like taking an ugly girl to the dance.

Reloading is not always about high pressures and high muzzle velocity. Reloading has provided me with increased accuracy and ver manageable recoil. This has provided me more enjoyment in shooting my pre 64 mod 70.
    All of the above have given me off hand deadly accuracy to 200 yards.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Yeah, if it's a 264 Win. Magnum.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

The combinations of primer/powder/case/powder charge and powder type, while not infinite, is pretty huge. You may spend a lot of time searching for that perfect combination or you may just luck out and find one that works very early in your re-loading career. I got into it in the early '80's in order to load for uncommon calibers like 6.5x54 Mannilncher Schonenauer, and wildcats like 340 Gibbs.
    Reloading is not always necessary to get acceptable hunting accuracy. It sounds like you already have a pretty good rig that shoots factory ammo very well.

I prefer hunting with an older piece of Iron, it’s a little heavier, walnut stock, no synthetic stock or lightweight metals.
    A friend did say if your gonna reload, you will increase your accuracy, gain some distance, tightened groups over factory rounds, but all that comes with a hotter load and can burn a barrel out on older guns rather quickly.
    NOT NECESSARILY TRUE. I hunt with a 30-06 pre-64 M70 Winchester and I shoot a load that is under max pressure and velocity that gives all the accuracy and killing power I will ever need. I also hunt with a Ross 1905R in 303 British that is over 100 years old. It was made around 1909-1911. It fires factory loads, reloads and cast bullets just fine. The bore is pretty frosty but shootable. I have no idea of the actual rounds fired in this rifle.

so my question Gents is : is this true ?, can I burn out a barrel on my 45 year old rifle.
    My experience says no. I have over 1000 rounds through my 30-06 and many hundreds through my Ross. Both were well used second hand rifles when I got them. You probably have more chance of degrading accuracy in your old gun by improper cleaning or lack of cleaning than by shooting it.
    Semper in excretum altum

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Yeah, if it's a 264 Win. Magnum.
    Really, do you know this first hand or just repeating what Remington lovers have been saying? Nothing wrong with modern day flame-throwers.

I have a .264 WM, I love it and I'm sensitive to such caliber bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leveraction View Post
    Sent you a pm

You ask for Opinions - Help and then its a secret to what your shooting ? RJ