Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Best longrange hunting bullet for medium sized game.

Re: Best longrange hunting bullet for medium sized game.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Thanks for all your feedback. A lot of what you have observed is very similar to my experiences. Nothing wrong with that buck. He may not be a monster, but lots of guys on this site would not hesitate at a deer like that. But there are few things quite so nice as a big mature mulie on the ground.
    Yes one day maybe I’ll have the patience to hang on to that tag a bit longer lol. In my defence I did pass him up in the morning 20 yds from the road with 6 does. Was bloodhounding the road in the afternoon solo and stopped at my whistle before was out of sight on the high side so he had his chances HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Yes one day maybe I’ll have the patience to hang on to that tag a bit longer lol. In my defence I did pass him up in the morning 20 yds from the road with 6 does. Was bloodhounding the road in the afternoon solo and stopped at my whistle before was out of sight on the high side so he had his chances HA
    Well you gave him a sporting chance. I am sure the big one will show himself one day when your less than ready to react. Should get the heart rate up. LOL

Well you gave him a sporting chance. I am sure the big one will show himself one day when your less than ready to react. Should get the heart rate up. LOL
    Had my chance once, all the time in the world. Calm cool and collected but miss-ranged him. Still have nightmares about it. At least I got him on trail camera afterwards, but unfortunately I couldn’t find him again in the flesh. Sure is fun...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Had my chance once, all the time in the world. Calm cool and collected but miss-ranged him. Still have nightmares about it. At least I got him on trail camera afterwards, but unfortunately I couldn’t find him again in the flesh. Sure is fun...
    I think many of us have been there done that. I always tell the young guys the easy shots are the ones you most often miss. I bet you shot over him.

I think many of us have been there done that. I always tell the young guys the easy shots are the ones you most often miss. I bet you shot over him.
    between his hooves, kicked up some dirt scared the piss out of him...

So I ended up with a box of these today. I went down to our local shop and this is what they had on the shelf, so I’ll give them a go. I went down there looking for these or the regular 180 grain accubond, but the selection wasn’t good. On top of that they gouged me $115 for them. It’s really hard to shop local with prices like that.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

$115 for box of 100 is no worse than Barnes. Should be a decent all around bullet choice.

$115 for box of 100 is no worse than Barnes. Should be a decent all around bullet choice.
    I don’t mind paying the $115, it’s the $23 difference from other vendors
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I don’t mind paying the $115, it’s the $23 difference from other vendors
    I haven’t looked in awhile but I doubt there’s much in stock anywhere right now. I buy in 1000’s and 8#ers when I can find em. Cheaper and it doesn’t go bad.

I had a guy lap some rings for me last night. He laughed at me when I said my plans were to be able to shoot 500 yards on game. Then he claimed his longest shot on game was at 1340 yards and I believe him. When I first met this guy he was shooting at 500 metres prone, freehand with irons out of a 223.

We’re meeting at the range for a session tomorrow.