Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best longrange hunting bullet for medium sized game.

Re: Best longrange hunting bullet for medium sized game.

Quote Originally Posted by GROOTSKY View Post
    I used to be a Barnes fan and there is no doubt that they penetrate from any angle but I have to say the kills were not spectacular, never lost an animal but never had one pile up either. A fragmenting bullet drops them fast but also comes with a responsibility of precise shot placement.
    I’ve seen frangible work well even with less then desirable shot placement especially at extended ranges. One-lung, liver or paunch a big game animal with a stout bullet and you are likely in for a bit of roller coaster ride. Same shot with a frangible and I’m smokin cigarettes walking down to him piled up not far away...
    Last edited by .264winmag; 03-06-2021 at 09:05 PM.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I guess that is what I was trying to say, I’m not a shoulder shot guy but I would definitely stay clear of it at any range.

I guess that is what I was trying to say, I’m not a shoulder shot guy but I would definitely stay clear of it at any range.
    High shoulder is my go to at extended ranges...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I personally like a projectile that shrapnels, after running dozens though critters I’ve come to the conclusion that’s what creates wick anchoring. Shutting down the cns opposed to just punching a clean hole through-throug waiting for a bleed-out. A hole through a critters lungs will ultimately make the animal expire, obviously, but think target arrow versus broad head. Call it whatever you like, hydrostatic shock, larger wound channel, velocity or energy. If there are multiple fragments the chance of the spine or multiple organs being affected resulting in quicker anchoring. This doesn’t necessarily mean the animal expires much quicker but he is less likely to travel far after impact. This is desirable when it might be dicey for a follow up shot or travel far into a thicket etc. resulting in a stressful tracking episode. I’m no rocket surgeon, but run a lot of lead through game and eat well.
    I find your comments interesting. I used to hunt with nothing but Seirra Game Kings and took lots of game with them. They almost always turned into shrapnel, and as you point out the animal usually hits the dirt on impact. Other hunters I mentioned this to told that you always want a bullet to pass right through an animal so you have a good blood trail. Since I have changed over to stouter bullets, I now get lots of pass throughs, but I don't see the blood trial everyone talks about often. In most cases the stouter bullets anchor game, but occasionally they go some distance(up to 100 yds). I remember a Rocky Mountain Bighorn I shot at about 150 yds. It was a great shot, right where you want it, through the lungs. It was a barnes 150 gr TTSX going about 3100 fps. The ram went about 50 yds before hitting the ground. There was not a speck of blood on the ground anywhere.

On another topic, I see you tested Hornady Interbonds and they look like they perform well. Have you shot any game with them, and if so, what was your impression.

If your fragmenting bullet turns an animals internals to soup then an exit hole and a blood trail sorta become irrelevant. I’ll take massive hydrostatic shock over an exit any day
    Last edited by GROOTSKY; 03-06-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    I find your comments interesting. I used to hunt with nothing but Seirra Game Kings and took lots of game with them. They almost always turned into shrapnel, and as you point out the animal usually hits the dirt on impact. Other hunters I mentioned this to told that you always want a bullet to pass right through an animal so you have a good blood trail. Since I have changed over to stouter bullets, I now get lots of pass throughs, but I don't see the blood trial everyone talks about often. In most cases the stouter bullets anchor game, but occasionally they go some distance(up to 100 yds). I remember a Rocky Mountain Bighorn I shot at about 150 yds. It was a great shot, right where you want it, through the lungs. It was a barnes 150 gr TTSX going about 3100 fps. The ram went about 50 yds before hitting the ground. There was not a speck of blood on the ground anywhere.

On another topic, I see you tested Hornady Interbonds and they look like they perform well. Have you shot any game with them, and if so, what was your impression.
    Ran Sierra game kings out the 270 for awhile, they came unglued often in close but killed quickly. Then I poked a little blacktail in his bed at 300, he never moved as I punched it though both shoulders and clipped the spine. I didn’t find any shrapnel or meat loss however and I started to see that although frangible at high speeds there was a dropping off in damage even at modest velocities, so I went faster and the inner jacketed with the 264.

Only poked one animal with the 7-08/IB so far. 300# 4x Mulie around 100yds. Heart shot quartered away bullet travelled through offside shoulder hung up inside far side hide. 2800fps mv, 139 pill weighed 132.3 with an expansion to .720”. Little mule kick and trotted off about 30yds. I’d say it worked fantastic in that situation.

On the note of blood trails, I can’t count how many times I’ve not had a speck of blood even with a pass though and there he is lying there piled up 50yds away. Even in fresh snow not a speck for 50 yds, then a giant pool under him. I’m a fan of watching an animals reaction to the hit, making a mental note of where he headed and how well he was getting there. If I find no blood I don’t get worried or give up, he usually isn’t far. Makes me wonder how often this happen with little tracking effort. Lots of hair usually not a great sign of a good hit. I don’t shoot to get a blood trail to follow, I shoot to see him fall...

Woulda been a real looker in a couple more years, but was getting down to the wire on way home from work and I was hungry. That little savage slinging interbonds might be my go to for timber mulies though...

https://imgur.com/gallery/vXmwIiX

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    On the note of blood trails, I can’t count how many times I’ve not had a speck of blood even with a pass though and there he is lying there piled up 50yds away. Even in fresh snow not a speck for 50 yds, then a giant pool under him. I’m a fan of watching an animals reaction to the hit, making a mental note of where he headed and how well he was getting there. If I find no blood I don’t get worried or give up, he usually isn’t far. Makes me wonder how often this happen with little tracking effort. Lots of hair usually not a great sign of a good hit. I don’t shoot to get a blood trail to follow, I shoot to see him fall...
    Thanks for all your feedback. A lot of what you have observed is very similar to my experiences. Nothing wrong with that buck. He may not be a monster, but lots of guys on this site would not hesitate at a deer like that. But there are few things quite so nice as a big mature mulie on the ground.

If your fragmenting bullet turns an animals internals to soup then an exit hole and a blood trail sorta become irrelevant. I’ll take massive hydrostatic shock over an exit any day
    That’s how I see it as well, but just an opinion I guess. Plus it’s kinda cool digging projectiles out for examining HA