Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best longrange hunting bullet for medium sized game.

Re: Best longrange hunting billet for medium sized game.

When somebody has some real world experiences running LRX through game at long ranges and lower velocities I’ll be very interested. Until then my proof is personally all I need to run frangible projectiles. I agree that for years a long shot was 200yds, then I started to learn how to shoot. And got some good glass. And low and behold there is plenty of game out passed there just waiting for a sleeping pill. Not a year goes by now I don’t poke something at 350+. It’s not all that hard and actually quite enjoyable and effective. Maybe get some euro glass instead of that vortex stuff and them critters will show up out further HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

If your wanting to get into longer range shots a scope that has reliable tracking is the most important thing. 4-500 yards is still within most hunting bullets capabilities of proper expansion

For hunters who like the Berger bullets but are worried about them being to frangible for hunting, the hybrid target line may be an option. They are almost identical to their EOL & hunter bullets except that the jackets are slightly thicker and the meplat is slightly smaller, but still has the hollow nose cavity.

I think this would allow for closer/higher velocity shots possibly giving better penetration yet still allowing the bullet to fragment.

On the 153.5 grain .264(6.5) target hybrid I was able to clean out the nose cavity easily with a .028" pin drill then opened them up to .031, that is where I'm going to leave them. With a muzzle velocity of 3000FPS I don't believe there would be any expansion issues out to 500or more yards and I think they may hold together better than the 156 EOL at closer ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by GROOTSKY View Post
    For hunters who like the Berger bullets but are worried about them being to frangible for hunting, the hybrid target line may be an option. They are almost identical to their EOL & hunter bullets except that the jackets are slightly thicker and the meplat is slightly smaller, but still has the hollow nose cavity.

I think this would allow for closer/higher velocity shots possibly giving better penetration yet still allowing the bullet to fragment.

On the 153.5 grain .264(6.5) target hybrid I was able to clean out the nose cavity easily with a .028" pin drill then opened them up to .031, that is where I'm going to leave them. With a muzzle velocity of 3000FPS I don't believe there would be any expansion issues out to 500or more yards and I think they may hold together better than the 156 EOL at closer ranges.
    Thats a good tip, I sometimes pack a couple 6.5mm 160 matrix vld’s if I might have a close encounter. They hold together quite well and destroy vitals in tight if need be.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Has anybody tried the lapua d46? 185 grain should be decent in a 300wsm. Maybe I’ll buck the trends and order abox
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Has anybody tried the lapua d46? 185 grain should be decent in a 300wsm. Maybe I’ll buck the trends and order abox
    Fmj? I believe that would be illegal...

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Fmj? I believe that would be illegal...
    It’s listed as a hunting/sport shooting bullet on their site.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I know where there is 1 box of .308 200 gr LRX bullets for sale. 1 in 10" or faster twist required. PM if interested.

After some more reading and thinking I decided not to go with the eld-x, then I tried finding some Barnes Lrx, but they’re nowhere to be found in Canada.

I don’t know why, but every time I try to buy something it’s sold out or can’t be found.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

It’s listed as a hunting/sport shooting bullet on their site.
    I’m pretty certain there’s a law against non-expanding bullets being used for hunting purposes, fmj falls under non-expanding iirc.

But if you want to disregard the real world experiences of a a couple proven excellent long range pills for a closed tip hail mary be my guest. But I’d run em through some test medium first, something I do with all my pills these days before trying to punch a tag with em...