Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best longrange hunting bullet for medium sized game.

Re: Best longrange hunting billet for medium sized game.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor84 View Post
    guess you forgot about the big mule deer you wounded at 900 yards a few years back ?
    Clean miss but thanks for the reminder. Last time I checked an improper range reading has nothing to do with billet performance. Perhaps you can share your vast experience on digging bullets out of game at extended range.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I've killed literally tons of animals with Amax's from up close and personal to a fair way out. I haven't seen massive exit wounds, but I also shoot to break the offside shoulder or else it is a lengthwise shot. (Have yet to have one exit lengthwise.) Small exit wounds have been common, with very fast kills though. That said, it has been limited to Amax's in 75gr, 105gr, and 162gr - 223AI, 243AI, and 7wsm, deer/bears/coyotes/elk.
    Although, now that I think about it, the 75's on coyotes do make BIG exits if bones are hit. The 105's and 162's usually make a dime sized exit wound on coyotes.

Thinking back, I can only remember one deer that was shot way out there with a 105 that was shot twice, but that was more because he was standing on the edge of the river bank above the Peace, and the first shot rolled him as he was trotting along but he managed to get back to his feet and I didn't want to risk him taking a few steps and falling in the river.
    Necropsy showed that the first round got him anyway (third rib through to broken offside shoulder and exit) but since he was broadside and the shooting is the fun part he got another one through both shoulders. First round impact to point of death was maybe 15 yards, but some of that was him rolling and flopping. He didn't move anywhere under his own steam at any rate.

For shots 250+, in my opinion there isn't much out there that is better than a soft bullet that has some structural integrity. I much prefer the Amax over the SST, I have had Amax's hold together and exit while SST's have shown to be very soft and suffer separations more.
    That said, shoot enough animals with enough bullets, and you will see some weird stuff happen eventually.

After some more reading and thinking I decided not to go with the eld-x, then I tried finding some Barnes Lrx, but they’re nowhere to be found in Canada.

I don’t know why, but every time I try to buy something it’s sold out or can’t be found.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Refreshing to hear from someone that knows what they’re talking about KodiakHntr HA. Only ran a couple 285 amax’s out the Lapua through black bears, very impressive. I’ve got a decent 264 load with the 140’s that I’d like to try out on game.
    Last edited by .264winmag; 03-06-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    After some more reading and thinking I decided not to go with the eld-x, then I tried finding some Barnes Lrx, but they’re nowhere to be found in Canada.

I don’t know why, but every time I try to buy something it’s sold out or can’t be found.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...rt+Magnum.html

Don’t hear Barnes and long range hunting used together very often in the real world...

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Refreshing to hear from someone that knows what they’re talking about KodiakHntr HA. Only ran a couple 285 amax’s out the Lapua through black bears, very impressive. I’ve got a decent 264 load with the 140’s that I’d like to try out on game.
    I should get you to pm me that 264 load... I’m feeling a bit nostalgic and should probably dust mine off this spring. Been at least 15 years since I have 264’d anything.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    I should get you to pm me that 264 load... I’m feeling a bit nostalgic and should probably dust mine off this spring. Been at least 15 years since I have 264’d anything.
    I will ship it away in a bit once I’m home. It shoots same poi as my Berger load @100 and just needs a couple extra elevation clicks way out there due to the slightly lower bc.

Don’t hear Barnes and long range hunting used together very often in the real world...
    That's because you're posting links to data that's from 2011...

Have you checked out the Lrx lineup?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.