Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you protect your scope?

How do you protect your scope?

Recently picked up a new Swarovski scope and curious as to how people look after their scopes while hunting or after a hunt. No matter how expensive or inexpensive your optics are, it is important to look after them. I have tried the Butler Creek covers that pop open when clicked as well as just using an old shirt to keep the dust off if I am riding around but thinking there must be something that works for most situations. Mainly looking for ways to keep the lenses clean and clear and not scratch them up. After the hunt and sometimes during, I use a lens pen but I must admit that I cringe doing that when I know there is dust on the lenses even if that is one of their purposes. Any feedback or ideas are always appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How do you protect your scope?

Neoprene scope cover is what I have been using. Dust will always be an issue especially while riding. I personally just use a lens cloth and disposable wet lens towels when it's bad. Glass is pretty durable these days. I would think you need to try pretty hard to make a noticeable scratch.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

If you are worried about dust canned air will clean any lens, use it for my camera gear, Dust Off is the name.

I'm same as whitlers. Lens cloth and cleaners are good.
    They have see-through bikini style covers for your rifle too. I keep mine on in case I need to make a quick shot, but take them off when stalking.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Neoprene on my bigger Nikons, but the M-223 that I have on my lever action has flip up caps. I was a pro sports photographer for a lot of years shooting rock and ice climbing, kayaking skiing etc. After all that and never putting a scratch on any of my lenses (some of which were $10,000 +) I don’t worry about dustetc on rifle scopes. I’m more concerned about slipping and banging one on a rock and knocking it out of center.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I use a rubber “bikini” cover which pretty well seals the lenses up tight, then a neoprene scope cover over that. It may seem a bit over kill but judging by how rough the neoprene cover looks after one season, I prefer the cover take the beating rather than the scope. If I’m carrying my rifle in my hand than I take the neoprene cover off.

Has anyone tried the Swarovski lens covers? Pros/cons?

I make my scope covers from old inner tubes and stretch it over the the lenses from end to end.If I loose it ,no big deal.Just make another.
    Most of my hunting is on foot and my rifle is in my hand so no covers.I also carry tissue paper in my pocket to wipe rain or snow off during the day.
    When I get to my truck the cover goes on.

Unless it’s really snowing or raining I don’t bother with covers. If it is snowing and raining I have a neoprene cover, but I don’t expect it’ll be too long before that’s lost.
    I use a lens pen to keep them clean.
    Last edited by Greenthumbed; 02-28-2021 at 07:10 AM.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I use the leupold alumina flip covers on my leuy. Vortex flip covers on my ziess. Just leave them on all the time, keeps dirt, snow rain, etc. out. In the truck the whole rifle is usually in a case so I don't worry about external damage.