Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s the issue with caribou meat after mid September ?

What’s the issue with caribou meat after mid September ?

Gentlemen,

I see several comments on posts from other members enquiring about Caribou hunting.
    several members comment about make sure you take your Caribou ( one member said ) before September 21st other wise they don’t taste so good

could someone elaborate on this please.

G

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What’s the issue with caribou meat after mid September ?

They really change with the rut. Much more so than any other animal I have eaten. I shot a bull in early October, herd bull, big trophy. The trophy lost its tarnish every-time I tried to gag back any of that bull. It was putrid! I ate the whole thing and vowed to never ever shoot one even close to the rut.

Do not shoot one after September 21 if you have taste buds, or live with any others that you care about. The gas that it gave me was enough to make my dog run and hide.....

People just like their wild game to taste like corn fed beef

thanks blackbart, I just read your comment to my wife, we both had a good laugh, and Ill bear in mind what you say

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    They really change with the rut. Much more so than any other animal I have eaten. I shot a bull in early October, herd bull, big trophy. The trophy lost its tarnish every-time I tried to gag back any of that bull. It was putrid! I ate the whole thing and vowed to never ever shoot one even close to the rut.

Do not shoot one after September 21 if you have taste buds, or live with any others that you care about. The gas that it gave me was enough to make my dog run and hide.....
    Lol, you should be a writer. Pissed my pants
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Don't know what the date has to do with it but I was told that when things are froze they drink their own piss. True or not I can't say.

Have ate a few different bulls taken during the rut and they were fine, actually have not had a bad one. I think as with any thing
    can be a bad tasting one in the bunch.

We shot a couple bulls on sept 18. The first thing the pilot asked was if we had tried the meat. He was from dease lake so I assume he had eaten a few. On that date it was still good. I have heard two weeks later they are in full rut and dogs won’t eat it.

bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I have had caribou a few times. Once, it was at a game banquet, and it was aweful!! I figured, I better go get my own, so we did, and that bull, was aweful!! Caribou are safe from me!! I’ll put extra effort in finding moose/elk/deer, never caribou, ever!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

ive shot two caribou. first one early sept was good. secound one was in rut. my whole family did not like it and absolute true story my beagle would leave the house when i cooked any meat