Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: WSSBC - Large Carnivore ban

Re: WSSBC - Large Carnivore ban

Keep the ball rolling

To the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    This is possibly the funniest thing I’ve read on here ever! This is EXACTLY who is making our laws right now!!! Social pressure from outside the country and people who have no clue about animal numbers etc are causing our idiot governments to fold and pass bad laws. They’re bad laws for us as hunters, but worse for the animals involved.
    oh there has been lots of regulations and laws made by hunters/trappers and there organizations that have been bad for the animals.

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Lets go, no one better be ordering bear tags and licenses without having signed these forms first.
    Sorry but will be getting bear tags, but wont be signing these forms/letters dont agree with some of the points on how there writing.
    I dont hunt for you, jesse, or rebeka i hunt for my own reasons. Have to follow the rules and laws that are in place,yes, but so many are
    being changed to appease others. If i remember correctly use to only have to bring out a quarter on sheep, goats and caribou then changed
    to 4 quarters then all edible portions all because of what other people think. As mentioned before i have to talk to alot of non hunters
    and not going to hide or lie to them and tell them i do not hunt for meat, this quit often gets the oh you hunt for trophy then, which i say no
    i hunt for what i want and all is brought out. Then explain in the last 25 years have shot 3 animals here where as a meat hunter can shoot
    2 or 3 a year so that could be 50 in the same amount of time. Then say they should think about that on which is worse or harder on animal
    populations the one they call a trophy hunter which they think is bad or the meat hunter which they think is ok.

Any way here is your bump for this page.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Sorry but will be getting bear tags, but wont be signing these forms/letters dont agree with some of the points on how there writing.
    I dont hunt for you, jesse, or rebeka i hunt for my own reasons. Have to follow the rules and laws that are in place,yes, but so many are
    being changed to appease others. If i remember correctly use to only have to bring out a quarter on sheep, goats and caribou then changed
    to 4 quarters then all edible portions all because of what other people think. As mentioned before i have to talk to alot of non hunters
    and not going to hide or lie to them and tell them i do not hunt for meat, this quit often gets the oh you hunt for trophy then, which i say no
    i hunt for what i want and all is brought out. Then explain in the last 25 years have shot 3 animals here where as a meat hunter can shoot
    2 or 3 a year so that could be 50 in the same amount of time. Then say they should think about that on which is worse or harder on animal
    populations the one they call a trophy hunter which they think is bad or the meat hunter which they think is ok.

Any way here is your bump for this page.

You're really missing the point here, and I'd be more than happy to give you my number for a phone call.

I'm not questioning or telling people to hunt for any specific reason, I just want to protect hunting in general, whether its for trophy, meat, or whatever urges you to pull the trigger.

We are facing an uphill battle with people who want to shut down hunting completely. This is our way to fight back, to put our names in the media, in front of politicians and advocate in any way possible. I grew up and live amongst many hunters with the "if we dont post what we do they wont care" bullshit approach, and guess what, its exactly that, bullshit. We need to be out there, we need to be raw, we need to show what we do, and most of all we need to show everyone who we are. We believe it or not, are a minority group, and we need to act like it. We need to form relationships, build bonds, and stop shooting ourselves in the foot with the "It wont happen" or "I'll just do my own thing and noone will care" approach cause again, its bullshit.

I'll be meeting with my MLA to discuss hunting and my traditional views on life. I hope you would see the need for this and do the same.

Go ahead and buy your bear tags this year, but if you're foolish enough to think not helping and supporting the hunting/conservation organizations who are taking steps to protect that very privilege, don't be surprised to see that privilege of buying bear tags abolished in the next few years.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

You're really missing the point here, and I'd be more than happy to give you my number for a phone call.

I'm not questioning or telling people to hunt for any specific reason, I just want to protect hunting in general, whether its for trophy, meat, or whatever urges you to pull the trigger.

We are facing an uphill battle with people who want to shut down hunting completely. This is our way to fight back, to put our names in the media, in front of politicians and advocate in any way possible. I grew up and live amongst many hunters with the "if we dont post what we do they wont care" bullshit approach, and guess what, its exactly that, bullshit. We need to be out there, we need to be raw, we need to show what we do, and most of all we need to show everyone who we are. We believe it or not, are a minority group, and we need to act like it. We need to form relationships, build bonds, and stop shooting ourselves in the foot with the "It wont happen" or "I'll just do my own thing and noone will care" approach cause again, its bullshit.

I'll be meeting with my MLA to discuss hunting and my traditional views on life. I hope you would see the need for this and do the same.

Go ahead and buy your bear tags this year, but if you're foolish enough to think not helping and supporting the hunting/conservation organizations who are taking steps to protect that very privilege, don't be surprised to see that privilege of buying bear tags abolished in the next few years.
    Not sure why need to phone, been dealing with people or groups wanting to change or shut down hunting for years and quit posable before you were even born.
    Your last comment about being foolish when you dont no what people do or support , well that says enough.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Not sure why need to phone, been dealing with people or groups wanting to change or shut down hunting for years and quit posable before you were even born.
    Your last comment about being foolish when you dont no what people do or support , well that says enough.
    Simply to view perspective and chat about ways to combat what we face? While you may be right that for years, people have been trying to shut down hunting(and yes before I was born as I was born in '95), I don't think there has ever been an organization as strong and influential as Raincoast, it showed when they were the ones who literally drove the Grizzly Bear Ban...

My statement directly referred to being foolish for not supporting organizations directly working to protect what we value... I could care less what else you do/support, well unless its Raincoast. Sorry if I may come across as rude, but I'll be honest, I'm scared for our/my future, this is the biggest threat to hunting in BC has ever seen. My generation doesn't understand a lot of traditional values and the reason we do what we do, and that's a scary thought... I try to educate all but as a minority we are only so many voices.

Sir while I admire your passion and support this letter writing campaign, I believe you are missing some important points. The first and most important point is that wolf culls have always been controversial. Back in the early 80's they did a cull and green peace tried to get up to northern BC and fly in to disrupt the cull . They were quickly shut down when they arrived. Second: Let me point out that back in the 70's when I first started hunting, the wildlife branch strongly urged hunters to not display their game when returning from hunting, like in the old days when guys draped deer, moose, etc over the hood of their vehicle. Most of us complied to this request and all was quiet. Third - As you point out, most people don't like hunting and don't want to see dead animals and blood. So why on earth would you taunt them? They don't want to see what we do or know what we do. As the old saying goes "Let sleeping dogs lie". Fourth - If your honest with your self, you then know that the reason we are in this position "AGAIN", is because of #@$KING social media. The younger generation can't help themselves when it comes to social media, and need to learn to be discrete and show some sell discipline. This whole mess we are in is arguable the consequence of social media. The guy that shot the lion, the hockey player that shot the grizzly and posted on facebook, the young lady who posted a picture of a dead wolf on face book and then stated she wanted to kill every wolf she saw. Really? Maybe it's youthful defiance, but what is it we have to say to you, to convince you to stay off social media with your hunting pictures. You keep shooting yourself and fellow hunters in the foot with these posts and also create a shit storm with the general public. We wouldn't be fighting this fight right now, if some people had shown some good judgement and discretion. If you think you can throw your hunting activities out on social media without paying a price for that, then you need to reconsider. The general public will throw you and me under the bus in a heart beat, and the Politicians will accommodate them.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Sir while I admire your passion and support this letter writing campaign, I believe you are missing some important points. The first and most important point is that wolf culls have always been controversial. Back in the early 80's they did a cull and green peace tried to get up to northern BC and fly in to disrupt the cull . They were quickly shut down when they arrived. Second: Let me point out that back in the 70's when I first started hunting, the wildlife branch strongly urged hunters to not display their game when returning from hunting, like in the old days when guys draped deer, moose, etc over the hood of their vehicle. Most of us complied to this request and all was quiet. Third - As you point out, most people don't like hunting and don't want to see dead animals and blood. So why on earth would you taunt them? They don't want to see what we do or know what we do. As the old saying goes "Let sleeping dogs lie". Fourth - If your honest with your self, you then know that the reason we are in this position "AGAIN", is because of #@$KING social media. The younger generation can't help themselves when it comes to social media, and need to learn to be discrete and show some sell discipline. This whole mess we are in is arguable the consequence of social media. The guy that shot the lion, the hockey player that shot the grizzly and posted on facebook, the young lady who posted a picture of a dead wolf on face book and then stated she wanted to kill every wolf she saw. Really? Maybe it's youthful defiance, but what is it we have to say to you, to convince you to stay off social media with your hunting pictures. You keep shooting yourself and fellow hunters in the foot with these posts and also create a shit storm with the general public. We wouldn't be fighting this fight right now, if some people had shown some good judgement and discretion. If you think you can throw your hunting activities out on social media without paying a price for that, then you need to reconsider. The general public will throw you and me under the bus in a heart beat, and the Politicians will accommodate them.
    Touche in some regards.

But point one, this is not just about wolf culls, when they've included bears, elk, and bighorn sheep. Second, I whole heartedly agree that no one should be publicly draping animals over their hoods or anything of that sort, I try to hide as much as I can while transporting. Third, and I guess the fourth as well, while you may be right and poor judgement of posting on Social Media could be the cause for this or probably is, what about hunting shows? It's still in the public eye to some regard. We can't avoid the situation we currently sit in, and going with the "Stop posting your stuff on social media" isn't going to help now. I like to use hunting pictures to show a positive light on all aspects of hunting, from vistas, sunsets, relatable moments to yes, trophy pictures. I can speak from personal experience as a millennial, tasteful hunting pictures I have posted, have lead to positive engagement from non hunters.

Steven Rinella has been in the New York Times discussing different aspects of hunting? Should he have not done that to keep it out of the public eye?

While I agree, there's without a doubt some pictures that don't belong on social media. But we as hunters need to have a presence, the common trend today is supporting minorities based on their way of life, love that. But we are a minority with a way of life and we need to act accordingly and gather support through social media in my opinion.

Up until about 5 years ago, no one online would have been able to guess I was a hunter. I live in Vancouver, frequent local nightclubs, posted similar to what everyone else my age would post, and I hid it to be frank. In conversations that would come up from time to time with people who knew me would be hunting... they were shocked, outraged, and simply didn't understand. As hunting more consumed my life, to the point that I now can't go 5 minutes without talking or thinking about it, I changed my social media, slowly but I did. Did I have some outrage? absolutely, but it brought the opportunity to teach. I get some of the coolest messages from people trying to understand, admiring time spent in the outdoors, able to connect on levels of my tent pictured in snow to their hiking trip they did last summer or a sunset up above tree line, that I captured while hunting.

Last year, I posted a picture I knew would get some interesting feedback, a friend skinning out a bear for a euro mount. It sparked quite a few conversations, but it also gave opportunity. The opportunity to teach how every portion of that bear would be used, from the meat, to the cape, to the simple euro skull on the fireplace as a memory of a time with a friend.

While I truly respect your side of things and the critique and feedback, it gives me an opportunity to further think and evaluate, I just wanted to put my side of it out there from someone who may have a little bit different perspective. It's the same as LBM, I respect his opinion and his outlook on everything as well.
    Last edited by porthunter; 03-08-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Touche in some regards.

But point one, this is not just about wolf culls, when they've included bears, elk, and bighorn sheep. Second, I whole heartedly agree that no one should be publicly draping animals over their hoods or anything of that sort, I try to hide as much as I can while transporting. Third, and I guess the fourth as well, while you may be right and poor judgement of posting on Social Media could be the cause for this or probably is, what about hunting shows? It's still in the public eye to some regard. We can't avoid the situation we currently sit in, and going with the "Stop posting your stuff on social media" isn't going to help now. I like to use hunting pictures to show a positive light on all aspects of hunting, from vistas, sunsets, relatable moments to yes, trophy pictures. I can speak from personal experience as a millennial, tasteful hunting pictures I have posted, have lead to positive engagement from non hunters.

Steven Rinella has been in the New York Times discussing different aspects of hunting? Should he have not done that to keep it out of the public eye?

While I agree, there's without a doubt some pictures that don't belong on social media. But we as hunters need to have a presence, the common trend today is supporting minorities based on their way of life, love that. But we are a minority with a way of life and we need to act accordingly and gather support through social media in my opinion.

Up until about 5 years ago, no one online would have been able to guess I was a hunter. I live in Vancouver, frequent local nightclubs, posted similar to what everyone else my age would post, and I hid it to be frank. In conversations that would come up from time to time with people who knew me would be hunting... they were shocked, outraged, and simply didn't understand. As hunting more consumed my life, to the point that I now can't go 5 minutes without talking or thinking about it, I changed my social media, slowly but I did. Did I have some outrage? absolutely, but it brought the opportunity to teach. I get some of the coolest messages from people trying to understand, admiring time spent in the outdoors, able to connect on levels of my tent pictured in snow to their hiking trip they did last summer or a sunset up above tree line, that I captured while hunting.

Last year, I posted a picture I knew would get some interesting feedback, a friend skinning out a bear for a euro mount. It sparked quite a few conversations, but it also gave opportunity. The opportunity to teach how every portion of that bear would be used, from the meat, to the cape, to the simple euro skull on the fireplace as a memory of a time with a friend.

While I truly respect your side of things and the critique and feedback, it gives me an opportunity to further think and evaluate, I just wanted to put my side of it out there from someone who may have a little bit different perspective. It's the same as LBM, I respect his opinion and his outlook on everything as well.
    Great feedback and I truly appreciate the way you are approaching how you present hunting to others. Unfortunately there are people who do not share or use the care you do. Introducing people to your life style in a gentle way is the way to do it, but graphic displays of animals being shot and or wounded should never be posted anywhere. Lots of people eat meat, but I can tell you with great confidence, there are few of those people who want to see the workings of a slaughter house. This is the point I am trying to get across here. Discretion and tasteful presentation of our sport. Have you every really considered why people have to post pictures of the game they have harvested for the general public to see. In my opinion it's more about ego than accomplishment. Sharing in the hunting community is fine, but just throwing it out there for everyone to see is a really bad idea. Ask yourself how many lives have be ruined by social media. Social media is like a firearm, in the hands of a responsible person, it's a tool, and in the hands of the wrong person, it can create a lot of damage, intended or otherwise. Again I appreciate your enthusiasm and support your efforts. I wish more people had your perspective on hunting. I have really enjoyed hunting for 50 + years, and want to pass this lifestyle on to the younger generation in good condition. Part of passing the torch on, is to insist that the younger generation takes the same care we did, and learns from our mistakes. Remember that for the most part, my generation has "Been there done that"