Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WSSBC - Large Carnivore ban

Hybrid View

WSSBC - Large Carnivore ban

Received an email this morning from the sheep society. A friend Omer of precision optics heard of it and brought it to our awareness.

A group is attempting a ban on hunting of large carnivores, here’s the statement from the sheep society;

Thinly veiled under the guise of conservation, a concerted attack is now in place against ‘large carnivores’- specifically named are black bears, cougars, wolves and elk as they are mentioned as ‘trophy hunted only’.Noted in this same push by anti-hunting groups are bighorn sheep, part of our very life blood as an organization. We know firsthand that these sheep are so much more than the ‘trophy’ as claimed- that they are an icon of the hills that we care so passionately about. And that through our annual sheep counts as volunteers, know that there are no dangers of extirpation.’

Follow the link below to send an email and help out, sitting on our hands won’t assist us. It takes less than 3 minutes!

https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/actnow/
    This is great! What's over that next ridge...
    https://www.instagram.com/colehank/?hl=en

2. Site Sponsor

Re: WSSBC - Large Carnivore ban

Hi HankBC,

Thanks for sharing this! Sent! Is there any info on who owns this anti hunting campaign and how far the reach is?

We should however also aim for change in the own corner, as this entire movement is solely initiated by unnecessary social media provocation of a Vancouver island huntress.
    It outrages me that the biggest threat for hunting comes from within, by unfortunate and unmindful Instagram posts. We all pay the price.

Quote Originally Posted by dany View Post
    Hi HankBC,

Thanks for sharing this! Sent! Is there any info on who owns this anti hunting campaign and how far the reach is?

We should however also aim for change in the own corner, as this entire movement is solely initiated by unnecessary social media provocation of a Vancouver island huntress.
    It outrages me that the biggest threat for hunting comes from within, by unfortunate and unmindful Instagram posts. We all pay the price.

This campaign is pretty easy to link to Raincoast's recent paper on Social License to Hunt. That paper dropped, then it was picked up by the media, then the wolf-trapping woman handed them an unforced error, leading the the livestream between Premier Horgan and the G&M, then the radio interview with Rebeka Breder and Jesse. I know WSS and BCWF are responding, and while I'm sure GOABC and BHA are also probably doing something, I'm not sure what it is.

Steve Hamilton on BC Hunting Fishing FB group also makes sending MLA letters pretty easy (he has blanks in the files section of the Facebook group).

Visits, phone calls, emails and especially written letters in the mail to your MLA are really worth doing. The idea is that they'll demonize and outlaw trophy hunting of big carnivores, with the understanding that big carnivore trophy hunting includes everything down to shooting a grouse.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    This campaign is pretty easy to link to Raincoast's recent paper on Social License to Hunt. That paper dropped, then it was picked up by the media, then the wolf-trapping woman handed them an unforced error, leading the the livestream between Premier Horgan and the G&M, then the radio interview with Rebeka Breder and Jesse. I know WSS and BCWF are responding, and while I'm sure GOABC and BHA are also probably doing something, I'm not sure what it is.

Steve Hamilton on BC Hunting Fishing FB group also makes sending MLA letters pretty easy (he has blanks in the files section of the Facebook group).

Visits, phone calls, emails and especially written letters in the mail to your MLA are really worth doing. The idea is that they'll demonize and outlaw trophy hunting of big carnivores, with the understanding that big carnivore trophy hunting includes everything down to shooting a grouse.

So why is it, that none of the hunting groups are pointing out the fact that "trophy Hunting" in this province is illegal. To the general public Trophy hunting means harvesting and animal just for the head or fur. The regulations are quite clear on this, that all edible portions must be removed or used. The only exceptions are some predators such as coyotes and wolves. The anti's need to be called out on this disinformation campaign. And I would expect that hunting and wildlife organizations as well as hunters should be having this conversation with the general public and politicians. Presently it seems were on the defensive but letting their narrative stand if that makes sense. We need to chance the conversation and talk factually.

I'm not sure what the other organizations are doing, hopefully sending out emails and templates for members as the sheep society has.

You're correct in the fact that the main goal is to stop hunting. It started with Grizzlies, now it'll continue until we can't hunt rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post

This is great! What's over that next ridge...
    https://www.instagram.com/colehank/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by HankBC View Post
    I'm not sure what the other organizations are doing, hopefully sending out emails and templates for members as the sheep society has.

You're correct in the fact that the main goal is to stop hunting. It started with Grizzlies, now it'll continue until we can't hunt rabbits.
    hey Hank, BHA is encouraging its members to write/call/meet with their MLA’s as well as directing them to the WSS letter. On Vancouver island we are also pushing back against a petition to close he Cowichan estuary to hunting after someone poached a swan so if anyone feels like it, please help us out by reaching out to the MLA for tha area as well as Katrine Conroy

Elk are a carnivore?

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Elk are a carnivore?
    The Anti's threw a side swipe at elk and sheep hunting as a future anti campaign after predators.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

done! didn't take more than a minute to do

Done! Thanks HankBC for the heads up. NEVER allow the anti's to take the moral high ground. NEVER hunt or fish unethically. NEVER forget that the animals come first, and if we take care of them they will take care of us. NEVER EVER give up your right/privelege to hunt.