Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: WSSBC - Large Carnivore ban

Re: WSSBC - Large Carnivore ban

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Great feedback and I truly appreciate the way you are approaching how you present hunting to others. Unfortunately there are people who do not share or use the care you do. Introducing people to your life style in a gentle way is the way to do it, but graphic displays of animals being shot and or wounded should never be posted anywhere. Lots of people eat meat, but I can tell you with great confidence, there are few of those people who want to see the workings of a slaughter house. This is the point I am trying to get across here. Discretion and tasteful presentation of our sport. Have you every really considered why people have to post pictures of the game they have harvested for the general public to see. In my opinion it's more about ego than accomplishment. Sharing in the hunting community is fine, but just throwing it out there for everyone to see is a really bad idea. Ask yourself how many lives have be ruined by social media. Social media is like a firearm, in the hands of a responsible person, it's a tool, and in the hands of the wrong person, it can create a lot of damage, intended or otherwise. Again I appreciate your enthusiasm and support your efforts. I wish more people had your perspective on hunting. I have really enjoyed hunting for 50 + years, and want to pass this lifestyle on to the younger generation in good condition. Part of passing the torch on, is to insist that the younger generation takes the same care we did, and learns from our mistakes. Remember that for the most part, my generation has "Been there done that"

Absolutely, part of the education portion, is educating fellow hunters on public perception IMO. and 100% agree on peoples opinion on seeing slaughterhouse and where there meat comes from, but I've again used that to my benefit, to compare that to the picture of my clean cut backstrap.

Harvest pictures are a tough one to vocalize, and I often struggle with it. I can't argue that ego is a small portion of it, it is. and even writing this now, I'm trying to find a way to put it to words. But I feel its part of it, my goal is to show every different aspect of hunting, from packing a bag, setting a tent, building a camp, hiking a mountain, taking an animal and finally eating that animal. I know it is a hard concept to wrap ones head around.

I grew up in a hunting family. Highlights of nights around a campfire with people who I no longer am able to go see other than spiritually, were a big part of hunting and something I also want to pass on. But like you said, the key is to pass it on and teach the do's/don't's. Again, I truly do appreciate this kind of feedback and maybe one day once our world returns to some level, possibly have a conversation and share stories over a beer or coffee!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Just thought I would share the response I received from the office of my local MLA in response to the letter....

Good morning, Tracy.

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your concerns with Vernon-Monashee MLA, Harwinder Sandhu.

Hunting and trapping are an important part of the lives of many British Columbians. Opportunities for licensed harvest, founded on the basis of sound scientific principles, are only provided where such activities are biologically sustainable.

Under no circumstances does the BC government allow hunting that threatens the conservation of any species, nor does it condone unethical hunting practices.

Wildlife harvest is managed on a four-tiered system; the top priority is conservation, the second priority is to ensure constitutional obligations to First Nations, the third priority is resident licensed hunters, and the fourth priority is for non-resident licensed hunters.

Hunting regulations require that all licensed hunters remove the edible portions of meat, including that from predators like cougar and black bear. For some species (e.g., wolf, lynx and bobcat), the hunter must remove the edible portions or the hide and may remove both.

On August 28, 2020, the Province announced the final Together for Wildlife Strategy, which was the culmination of work under the mandate to “improve wildlife management and habitat conservation and collaborate with stakeholders to develop short and long-term strategies to manage BC's wildlife resources.”

The Strategy outlines five goals and 24 actions that together support the vision “wildlife and their habitats thrive, are resilient, and support and enrich the lives of all British Columbians.”

To support implementation of the Strategy a budget of up to $10M per year is committed, the approximate annual revenue from wildlife hunting and permit revenue, in additional to the regular program budget.

A Minister’s Wildlife Advisory Council was established to oversee implementation of the Strategy, as well as provide advise to the Minister on important issues related to wildlife stewardship and habitat conservation including ways to improve funding models.

For more information and a copy of the Together for Wild Life strategy, please visit: Together for Wildlife - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)

Thank you,

Josh.

Josh Winquist
    Constituency Assistant to Harwinder Sandhu, MLA for Vernon-Monashee
    P:250-503-3601 | B - 2920 28th Ave, Vernon, BC V1T 1V9
    Harwinder.Sandhu.MLA@leg.bc.ca

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Harwinder Sandhu
    MLA Vernon-Monashee

"Hunting regulations require that all licensed hunters remove the edible portions of meat, including that from predators like cougar and black bear. For some species (e.g., wolf, lynx and bobcat), the hunter must remove the edible portions or the hide and may remove both."

Well that's not entirely correct.

I also find it amusing that the "Four Tier System" puts resident hunters below First Nations. Of course we always knew that but just find it interesting comming from the horses mouth.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Absolutely, part of the education portion, is educating fellow hunters on public perception IMO. and 100% agree on peoples opinion on seeing slaughterhouse and where there meat comes from, but I've again used that to my benefit, to compare that to the picture of my clean cut backstrap.

Harvest pictures are a tough one to vocalize, and I often struggle with it. I can't argue that ego is a small portion of it, it is. and even writing this now, I'm trying to find a way to put it to words. But I feel its part of it, my goal is to show every different aspect of hunting, from packing a bag, setting a tent, building a camp, hiking a mountain, taking an animal and finally eating that animal. I know it is a hard concept to wrap ones head around.

I grew up in a hunting family. Highlights of nights around a campfire with people who I no longer am able to go see other than spiritually, were a big part of hunting and something I also want to pass on. But like you said, the key is to pass it on and teach the do's/don't's. Again, I truly do appreciate this kind of feedback and maybe one day once our world returns to some level, possibly have a conversation and share stories over a beer or coffee!
    Thanks for the reply, and I know where your coming from. Remember "Been there done that". I guess it comes down to being careful who share with. I know that after all the hard work involved to harvest, you want to share your successes with others, but there is a difference between sharing with the like minded and just putting it out there. I think your on the right track and you appear to be considerate to others and that's great. I am sure you will be a good ambassador for the sport. Just hope you can be a good influence to some of our peers. Keep up the good work and straight shootin.

Done and passed on "big time".

I am not surprised by the ridiculousness of the Anti's and the elk.

Also, its why i dont like the term "trophy" in our hunting practices terminology any longer.
    And, why i said we need real hunters in Politics now....more then ever!!
    We have left science based stuff a long time ago, for the "pull on your heart strings and use emotion thru the I-net.
    And why i said i am tired of hunters arguing whether spike or 4 pt should make things better.

The real problems are exactly what the OP posted.
    The Anti's are organized because they have "1 Agenda", and that is to ban all hunting.
    Ver easy optics to focus on to reach their objective.
    We get to "Washed out" because we are looking at too many small issues to concentrate are efforts properly.

Time to wake up folks and support you hunters.
    We are all in the same boat, time to paddle together.

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Simply to view perspective and chat about ways to combat what we face? While you may be right that for years, people have been trying to shut down hunting(and yes before I was born as I was born in '95), I don't think there has ever been an organization as strong and influential as Raincoast, it showed when they were the ones who literally drove the Grizzly Bear Ban...

My statement directly referred to being foolish for not supporting organizations directly working to protect what we value... I could care less what else you do/support, well unless its Raincoast. Sorry if I may come across as rude, but I'll be honest, I'm scared for our/my future, this is the biggest threat to hunting in BC has ever seen. My generation doesn't understand a lot of traditional values and the reason we do what we do, and that's a scary thought... I try to educate all but as a minority we are only so many voices.
    Here is another bump for you, things seem to have slowed down.
    I got a chuckle out of your post.

You don't like the word "Trophy"
    Lets be clear the attack on trophy hunting is just post modernist bullshit. Trophy implies a hierarchy by definition. Post modern deconstructionist tear down hierarchies. It is why we are watching a bluring of gender, sexuality, ect. It is a culture war. It also serves a marxist bent.
    I got into some hot water years ago with some European hunters. When they described there hunting,which was elevated stand hunting at night to what amounted to a food plot to get there "trophy". To me that wasn't a trophy by my definition it had to be difficult and rare..lol they were yelling at me after that. But here is the deal "Trophy " is just a word with many definitions. The unwitting
    deconstructionist has been hard at work in our society. Look at sports everyone gets a prize, no one left behind. You can't hardly fail anymore. Hell really they want to get rid of "Sport" too. You don't like that one too? It also carries positive and negative implications. To be sporting is to " play"fair. "Play" problematic as well killing animals should not be play and so the circle goes round and round. Getting rid of the words gets rid of the thing we do every fall. "Tradition"is another they are after. Our words define us and what we do.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I got the same form letter back from George Heyman, my MLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Just thought I would share the response I received from the office of my local MLA in response to the letter....

Good morning, Tracy.

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your concerns with Vernon-Monashee MLA, Harwinder Sandhu.

Hunting and trapping are an important part of the lives of many British Columbians. Opportunities for licensed harvest, founded on the basis of sound scientific principles, are only provided where such activities are biologically sustainable.

Under no circumstances does the BC government allow hunting that threatens the conservation of any species, nor does it condone unethical hunting practices.

Wildlife harvest is managed on a four-tiered system; the top priority is conservation, the second priority is to ensure constitutional obligations to First Nations, the third priority is resident licensed hunters, and the fourth priority is for non-resident licensed hunters.

Hunting regulations require that all licensed hunters remove the edible portions of meat, including that from predators like cougar and black bear. For some species (e.g., wolf, lynx and bobcat), the hunter must remove the edible portions or the hide and may remove both.

On August 28, 2020, the Province announced the final Together for Wildlife Strategy, which was the culmination of work under the mandate to “improve wildlife management and habitat conservation and collaborate with stakeholders to develop short and long-term strategies to manage BC's wildlife resources.”

The Strategy outlines five goals and 24 actions that together support the vision “wildlife and their habitats thrive, are resilient, and support and enrich the lives of all British Columbians.”

To support implementation of the Strategy a budget of up to $10M per year is committed, the approximate annual revenue from wildlife hunting and permit revenue, in additional to the regular program budget.

A Minister’s Wildlife Advisory Council was established to oversee implementation of the Strategy, as well as provide advise to the Minister on important issues related to wildlife stewardship and habitat conservation including ways to improve funding models.

For more information and a copy of the Together for Wild Life strategy, please visit: Together for Wildlife - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)

Thank you,

Josh.

Josh Winquist
    Constituency Assistant to Harwinder Sandhu, MLA for Vernon-Monashee
    P:250-503-3601 | B - 2920 28th Ave, Vernon, BC V1T 1V9
    Harwinder.Sandhu.MLA@leg.bc.ca

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Harwinder Sandhu
    MLA Vernon-Monashee

Had a phone meeting with my MLA today (Dan Coulter). He was very receptive to my concerns. He is a hunter himself, although confined to a wheelchair now. He assured me several times that the current government, at the MLA level, is not looking at any changes to the current hunting regulations that he was aware of. He stated MLA's are not discussing hunting at all and that any changes in the regs would be coming from wildlife management. We did discuss briefly the "together for wildlife" strategy. When I stated that I felt hunters did not have a great deal of representation on the advisory council he did not disagree. He did say that it was somewhat early days and we would have to see where this new strategy takes us. Overall a fairly positive experience. It was not a difficult discussion as he was very pro hunter. CHeers

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    You don't like the word "Trophy"
    Lets be clear the attack on trophy hunting is just post modernist bullshit. Trophy implies a hierarchy by definition. Post modern deconstructionist tear down hierarchies. It is why we are watching a bluring of gender, sexuality, ect. It is a culture war. It also serves a marxist bent.
    I got into some hot water years ago with some European hunters. When they described there hunting,which was elevated stand hunting at night to what amounted to a food plot to get there "trophy". To me that wasn't a trophy by my definition it had to be difficult and rare..lol they were yelling at me after that. But here is the deal "Trophy " is just a word with many definitions. The unwitting
    deconstructionist has been hard at work in our society. Look at sports everyone gets a prize, no one left behind. You can't hardly fail anymore. Hell really they want to get rid of "Sport" too. You don't like that one too? It also carries positive and negative implications. To be sporting is to " play"fair. "Play" problematic as well killing animals should not be play and so the circle goes round and round. Getting rid of the words gets rid of the thing we do every fall. "Tradition"is another they are after. Our words define us and what we do.
    Most of the time in Europe (Germany in my experience), they actually don't try and take "trophy" sized game, and most, even here consider trophy to be
    size of antler or body length.
    Truth is, they generally try to harvest what they call "weak", and I don't mean almost dying, but rather poor antler growth for age.
    Just an FYI...but they also take decent ones at times too.
    And, being Europe, pretty hard to find a place there that is "hard to get to", even if you try to seek out that type of place.
    The Alps are only a mountain or 2 wide, not like the Rockies, when on top of a peak, al you can see is peaks in all directions as the curvature of the earth
    makes them disappear from site.
    So, i can see why they weren't happy.
    And, most GO's prefer Europeans compared to Americans as clients also.
    Why, because they generally only take a shot when it's right.
    No having to chase wounded game for days afterwards....just another FYI.

As for the term Trophy.
    Well, i don't hunt for Trophy.
    I hunt for "maturity" in some cases depending on game.
    Elk is the only exception, as its my 1st choice for meat in the freezer.

Trophy and Sport, to me, are some dinosaur terms used by many .
    Its not the terms I use, because it doesn't identify how and what I hunt, and most certainly "not WHY I hunt".