Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose Bones For The Dog

Re: Moose Bones For The Dog

I feed deer, elk, and moose ribs as well as deer legs, scapulas, knuckles, and pieces of the spine AND always frozen to my griff 4-5 times per week. I do not thaw them out because they slow down a bit when they're frozen. She's four so she has been feeding on leg bones long enough that the ones she does splinter to get at the marrow she will never eat,,,,just leaves the shards behind.

Once a leg bone gets whittled down to almost nothing I take it away, Unlike the DD mentioned above I can take any bone away from her ant time I choose even though she's probably think WTF! haha

Leg bones start like this:

Usually take them away when they look like this:

Usually

usually take them w
    Last edited by mastercaster; 02-25-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Beware! Raw moose meat will give your dog tape worms .Learned that the hard way.Moose tape worms are there as a natural defence against wolf population .They only manifest in K9 not humans .Have a chat with your vet.If you cook them lightly than you kill the eggs but not enough to make the bones brittle.
    My poor dog was dragging his ass on the pavement and it looked like spaghetti coming out his butt .

Quote Originally Posted by GEF View Post
    Beware! Raw moose meat will give your dog tape worms .Learned that the hard way.Moose tape worms are there as a natural defence against wolf population .They only manifest in K9 not humans .Have a chat with your vet.If you cook them lightly than you kill the eggs but not enough to make the bones brittle.
    My poor dog was dragging his ass on the pavement and it looked like spaghetti coming out his butt .
    I would imagine that everyone who is feeding their dog moose bones/meat is taking it out of the freezer. Not only does cooking kill tape worms BUT so does freezing. Have had no issues at all the last 4 years that I've had my griff.

My dog never gets any fresh off the animal bones,,,,everyone is frozen whether it's deer, elk, or moose. I don't even bother to thaw them because I find she takes a little more time to devour them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    They watch me cut and wait for a treat...never had them touch unless i said okay...my wife is a great dog trainer.
    Mine too. Both our dogs that she trained (Labrador and Weimaraner) have been excellent dogs. I just don’t have the time to work with them enough when they are young. We are looking at getting another Weim soon, and now that my wife has her CORE and a 20 gauge O/U, I will bet the next dog is even better at bird work than the one we have now (who is an upland savant).
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Arrow Re: Moose Bones For The Dog

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Not only does cooking kill tape worms BUT so does freezing. Have had no issues at all the last 4 years that I've had my griff.
    You've either been damn lucky, or have one hell of a freezer:

"Freeze meat for as long as seven to 10 days and fish for at least 24 hours in a freezer with a temperature of -31 F (-35C) to kill tapeworm eggs and larvae."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20378174

The vast majority of domestic freezers will not reach those temperatures btw.

I don't even bother to thaw them because I find she takes a little more time to devour them that way.
    You are doing her a large disservice by taking a hell of a risk regarding broken teeth. Might want to rethink that.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

GEF wrote:

"My poor dog was dragging his ass on the pavement and it looked like spaghetti coming out his butt ."

This is HBC. Without pics it didn't happen

Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    You've either been damn lucky, or have one hell of a freezer:

"Freeze meat for as long as seven to 10 days and fish for at least 24 hours in a freezer with a temperature of -31 F (-35C) to kill tapeworm eggs and larvae."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20378174

The vast majority of domestic freezers will not reach those temperatures btw.

You are doing her a large disservice by taking a hell of a risk regarding broken teeth. Might want to rethink that.

Nog
    Yes, you can kill tape worm eggs and larvae in a week to ten days at a super cold temperature but you can also kill them in a regular freezer, as well, just as long as they've been in there a sufficient amount of time according to several vets and raw food for dogs advocates and distributors I've spoken to.

I'm also not the least bit worried about parasites/worms because my dog is given a deworming agent that's part of her tick and flea medication that she gets all year round. But just the same, none of the moose I or other friends have shot that I've used the ribs and knuckles from for my dog have had the very visible tape worm larva in the meat. It's very easy to spot them.

Also, the bones I have in my freezer have been in there quite awhile,,,,some for up to a year or more. Most years I'm usually still working on the previous year's moose, elk, and deer bones of shot animals. One freezer is just used for them and the trimmings for my dog.

Large bred dogs also have no issues eating frozen meat either,,,, not that there's much meat on the bones I give my dog as seen in the photo I posted above. At my dog's last annual checkup a month ago the vet said my dog's teeth are in perfect condition. She said to just keep brushing her teeth and giving her the ribs and bones and I shouldn't have any major issues with her teeth.