Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Bones For The Dog

Moose Bones For The Dog

Had the butcher cut up and provide me with all the big bones from our last moose. Still a bit of meat on them.
    Any tips or secrets on prep (raw or?) before watching the hound lose his mind? ... thawing a few right now.

Cheers
    /BigSlapper
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Bones For The Dog

We always cut up our bones and feed them raw. Usually in 4”-5” lengths so they have to work at getting the marrow.

Iv heard that cooked/boiled bones can splinter, but not 100% sure.

Raw!

I have a 6ft deep freezer I keep all my bones and grouse carcasses and fish remains from the year that feeds my two dogs for the duration almost ! From fish broths to grouse minus legs and breast! Moose knuckles you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    We always cut up our bones and feed them raw. Usually in 4”-5” lengths so they have to work at getting the marrow.

Iv heard that cooked/boiled bones can splinter, but not 100% sure.
    I have had raw ones splinter as well so just keep an eye on them, i remove them if show signs of cracking etc. have had a few operations removing
    stuff from stomach/intestines of the dogs.

We always give raw meat/trim and bones to our dogs. Moose rib bones are gone in about 5 minutes, knuckles last a lot longer.

Raw.

The size of the bone can be an issue with the dog, depending on the size of the dog, *maybe*, I *think*. Here's why. I've got a Border Collie. She gets every bone I can give her. For moose bones she just eats through 85% of things like the scapula, but the femur? She can't even begin to crack that. I bandsaw them and she cleans out the marrow and cleans off the bone. If she was bigger I might worry about her cracking her teeth on a bone that big if I hadn't sawn it (trying to get the marrow) , but it's not a problem for me. If you've got a big boy? I dunno. Might be a problem. Wolves do that, but you'd have to ask a vet how many times he treats wolves with cracked teeth. Might be hard to get good intel on that.

I've been feeding 100% raw for years, and the meat she gets is also raw and either game or a steer if I'm butchering that. Works great, but since that's all she's ever know anything like rib bones or small ones that she can break? They completely disapear and turn into little whit hard turds outside that don't stink. Fantastic system and great for their coats.

She even gets the big knuckle bones. Sometimes I split big ones with the axe and she cleans them out too.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

We simmer them as the raw gives her the shits. Simmer until the marrow is soft, then cool and feed. Don't boil them, just simmer until just cooked. No issues with splinters, even with deer bones.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Good stuff peeps - thanks .... fed Gunnar (my 80lb Drahthaar) a 8" piece of raw moose femur over an hour ago. Bugger is style out in the backyard chewing on it! .... and growling at me when I open the back door to check - he's not giving it up anytime soon!...LOL
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlapper View Post
    Had the butcher cut up and provide me with all the big bones from our last moose. Still a bit of meat on them.
    Any tips or secrets on prep (raw or?) before watching the hound lose his mind? ... thawing a few right now.

Cheers
    /BigSlapper
    When i am done cutting i let them chew once i say ok..
    They watch me cut and wait for a treat...never had them touch unless i said okay...my wife is a great dog trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Raw.

The size of the bone can be an issue with the dog, depending on the size of the dog, *maybe*, I *think*. Here's why. I've got a Border Collie. She gets every bone I can give her. For moose bones she just eats through 85% of things like the scapula, but the femur? She can't even begin to crack that. I bandsaw them and she cleans out the marrow and cleans off the bone. If she was bigger I might worry about her cracking her teeth on a bone that big if I hadn't sawn it (trying to get the marrow) , but it's not a problem for me. If you've got a big boy? I dunno. Might be a problem. Wolves do that, but you'd have to ask a vet how many times he treats wolves with cracked teeth. Might be hard to get good intel on that.

I've been feeding 100% raw for years, and the meat she gets is also raw and either game or a steer if I'm butchering that. Works great, but since that's all she's ever know anything like rib bones or small ones that she can break? They completely disapear and turn into little whit hard turds outside that don't stink. Fantastic system and great for their coats.

She even gets the big knuckle bones. Sometimes I split big ones with the axe and she cleans them out too.
    This.

Feed raw 100%. Cooked bones will splinter. They can still get pieces/splinters off raw bones but they tend to digest better than cooked bones. Observe how your dog chews his bones. Some dogs will use the sides of their back teeth to gnaw on the bones from the side or their front ones to nibble etc. If your dog is a big chomper and they have a bone small enough they can work to their back teeth and try and chomp down on, they risk cracking their molars. This is a particular concern for the weight bearing bones of large animals. Because my lab does this I only give him large cut bones, knuckle bones (moose if i have it, or cow from the butcher) or deer ribs (haven't tried moose yet). Bones from smaller game (i.e, anything smaller than a small sheep) isn't usually of any concern.

There's always risks from feeding bones of any kind so it's always best to observe if possible. Especially for the first couple of times.