Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunting Tent

Sheep Hunting Tent

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on sheep hunting tents.

I have used an MSR Hubba Hubba nx for the last few years. The newest model has not been great on minor quality issues, but I am still open to the idea of getting another one.

Does anyone have any input on the Big Agnes Cooper Spur tents? Are they too fragile for sheep hunting - placing rocks in tent to keep it from flying away can put holes in tents. What about the BA in wind?

If anyone that spends a lot of time in the mountains, up on ridges, very windy exposure, etc, has some input on tents I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sheep Hunting Tent

None of the lightweight tents are going to be the best in high winds, but the heavier duty ones don't do much better, so I always try my best to pitch a tent where it's at least somewhat sheltered from wind.

Big Agnes tents are okay. I have used a fly creek ul2 for 10 years. It's really a spacious one person tent. I went shopping for a true 2+ person a couple years ago and ended up with a mountain hardware Aspect 3. It comfortably sleeps 2 with room for packs/gear in between the 2 people, at 4 lbs. I have been REALLY impressed with this tent so far. The quality seems a fair bit superior to my BA at comparable or slightly cheaper price point. Plus it's a hunting friendly grey colour.

I got a deal on a Kuiu stormstar a few years ago which is their 4 season tent. it is a bit heavy but took an absolute $hit kicking for a few days last season and was unscathed. I’ve had it in all sorts of conditions and it’s been great but I was blown away at how it handled the wind we had (pun fully intended). It’s pricey, I’d buy another one but I doubt I’ll have too.

been using a big agnes tiger wall ul2. its been a really great mtn tent. 2 lb!

I’ve used a hubba hubba for years but when pitching in high wind areas the 3 season tents get beat on. I’ve now gone to a hilleberg 4 season model and with the fly going right to the ground it handles the wind much better but with a weight penalty. My 2 cents is if weight is your primary concern the hubba hubba or big Agnes are top notch but if you want a tuff handle all weather rig the hilleberg is hard to beat.

the new SG tents look appealing to but I don’t have any experience with them.

Hilleberg NIAK, my favourite of four Hilles and many other tents I have used over nearly 60 years.

I ran the hhnx for 4-5 years before the fly failed, good tent, but kinda disposable I found. I picked up a hilleberg nallo 2, the quality difference is very noticeable. Though it’s not the tent for me, I will be looking at another hilleberg, but free standing. If you plan on using it a lot, I suggest paying the premium for a top end tent, it sucks when they fail in the field. On that note, my nallo 2 is probably available if your interested.

I have a Mountain Hardware Aspect 3 landing here this week. Reviews are solid and a lightweight tent that I fit in. At 6’5”, I need to cut the sidewall out in most tents for my feet.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I’ve been talking about this with my hunting partner too. He wants more room. We’ve been sleeping in a 2 man hubba tent the last few years and I’ve been pretty happy with my msr tents. I’ve had my 3 man elixir in a situation where we were on the edge of a tornado warning with no issues and I’ve had my two man hubba in some pretty nasty spots in the mountains without too much issues. I remember waking up a couple times in the night because the tent pole was beating me in the head from the wind and it held up without raining blowing under the fly. He was asking me about tipis last night, but neither of us want mice running across our face in the middle of the night and I’m not sure how hard they are to set up in a hurry on ground that’s less than flat when the weather turns shitty. We’re pretty nomadic too, we don’t set our camp up in one spot and day hunt, we tend to just pack our gear up and keep moving which is a lot nicer with an msr tent that sets up in minutes in any weather.

Maybe some of you guys with the four season tents could chime in, but I stayed in my brothers 4 season msr last November in pretty cold weather(at least -20, probably -30 overnight) and it was pretty damp in the morning. My sleeping bag, pad and gear was damp. That’s really the last thing I want when I wake up. I’m wondering if he didn’t have some of the vents open.

I need another three man backpacking tent for the family, so I think I’m going to buy another hubba 3 man which we can use for hunting as well.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have a big Agnes copper spur ul3, It tends to get flattened in the high winds on a ridge line. But it always bounced back. However with that much wind one can’t sleep anyways bc it’s just too loud. I like my comfort when sleeping so I use it as a solo tent. All my gear, plus me 6’5 fits easy with room to spare. I will even cook under the vestibule when the weather gets really bad.
    the only downside is the meager Velcro tab holding the vent on the fly down on it. It tends to blow open in the wind. I will be fixing it before my next trip.
    Ps the tent does incredibly well in rain.