Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: blacktails on 2-16.

Re: blacktails on 2-16.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Legally in Canada beaches are public land up to the high-tide mark. But yeah, if the only access to crown land is across the adjacent property then you're stymied aren't you?
    Yeah, should have been more precise in my language. In the areas with beaches where you might be able to land a small boat and go ashore, all the upland property is private/marked with houses on it. All the crown shoreline with crown behind it is cliffy and basically inaccessible.

E-J, I'm circling back on this thread because I don't think my reply was very friendly or welcoming. I don't want to be too presumptuous, but based on your question I'm assuming that you might be a newer hunter. If so, welcome. We really, really need new hunters if we're going to be able to continue our lifestyle.

It's great that you're looking for a new spot and that you're diving deep into the regulations. Being able to closely read the regs is a huge asset and can be the difference between finding a honey hole with lots of opportunity or just taking your rifle for a walk (and, sometimes, that's great too).

Hunters, as a group, are pretty cagey about good spots. There are a lot of reasons for this but, speaking for myself, it's chiefly because finding a good spot is a lot of work. Because spots are so closely guarded you won't get a lot of precise instruction about where to go (especially if you're asking about individual islands). Accordingly, asking someone about a specific spot or confirming where you should go (especially on a public forum) will usually result in radio silence.

It's important to know this is not because people don't want to encourage new hunters, it's just a reflection of the value and sweat equity involved in finding good spots.

In addition to e-scouting, one thing I always do is reach out to the local conservation officer when I'm thinking about a new place to hunt. If you are respectful and friendly they can be a wealth of knowledge.

Apologies in advance if I've misinterpreted your situation and good luck this year!
    BCWF WSSBC DU BHA

Hey Hankus, while I personally didn't read your post as "not welcoming" at all, I think ^^^^^ sets a great example on how we should be communicating in this forum. Thank you for that. The info, of course, is good too

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Hey Hankus, while I personally didn't read your post as "not welcoming" at all, I think ^^^^^ sets a great example on how we should be communicating in this forum. Thank you for that. The info, of course, is good too
    Much appreciated.

Learning to hunt is hard enough, the least we can do as a community is be as friendly and encouraging as possible.
    BCWF WSSBC DU BHA

I hunted there about 17 years ago. It was sure crazy with lots of hunters especially doe season. My late dad and I each got very small bucks but they had lots of ticks. If you get one skin them right away when the body is still warm. We bush wack right in to heavy brush forest that's how we got ours. Never being back since. Like I said very small deer average dress weight probably around 40 lbs.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Hankus I read a lot of posts on here never replying. You explained yourself well, I don’t think anyone should throw up all there juicey spots on the net. Kudos
    E-J Yes There are some good deer on Texada. I would try all the fringe spots on the North part of the Island that are legal to hunt. Also do talk to the C.O. he will help if you ask the way you are. I have a nice 4 with brows from there about 10 yrs ago. It takes time to learn any spot good luck to you.