Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blacktails on 2-16.

Thumbs up blacktails on 2-16.

hey guys,<br>i did a lot of research on 2-16 for blacktails since it has a very liberal hunting season. my conclusions come to that Texada island gets a lot of people on not a lot of public land, bowen and Gambier has a good amount of deer but many residents frown upon hunting and Anvil has few people living there but is hard to access. i am wondering if i am missing something about the islands of 2-16 and which one would be the better choice.&nbsp;<br>i would like to state that i am not afraid of thick woods and that i am not afraid of long hikes.<br>thanks ahead for any advice.<br><br>
    i like freedom so i like guns which are better at protecting me than vaccines...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: blacktails on 2-16.

Texada Island is practically all crown land. Go in November, wear orange, get off the roads.

M.
    WSSBC Life Member, WSF, RMGA, BCWF, BADMF

As an FYI, hunting on Bowen is just about impossible. You cannot use a firearm. You cannot hunt on crown land. You are only allowed to hunt on private land (larger than 5 acres) with a traditional bow *and* a bow discharge permit issued by the RCMP.

We took two blacktail in 2-16 this year. Not anywhere you mentioned, but it was WAY busier than I thought. We were in a small area and saw NINE different parties in 3 days. We averaged 10-18 kms of walking per day to get where we needed to be, and saw a ton of sign, but only the two deer we shot, and one I bumped in super thick cover. Best venison I’ve ever had, but it was a LOT of work getting it. Would I go back again? Damn right I would!

Definetly wear some blaze orange...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

thank you for the advice.
    would anvil island be a good possibility?
    i like freedom so i like guns which are better at protecting me than vaccines...

Quote Originally Posted by E-J Kooij View Post
    thank you for the advice.
    would anvil island be a good possibility?
    Anvil doesn't get a lot of discussion on here and it's not because it's a secret or hard to get to. The only dock is at the bible camp and it's private. Bible camp doesnt allow weapons to cross their property so they'll tell you to kick rocks if you show up. Beaches are privately owned so you can't land on em and the rest of the island is super cliffy with no anchorages-- take a look at the charts and you'll see that it goes straight from island to 600 ft deep. I've done it before and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Tried it out for a season along with some other spots in the area and I haven't been back.

Quote Originally Posted by granola_eater View Post
    Anvil doesn't get a lot of discussion on here and it's not because it's a secret or hard to get to. The only dock is at the bible camp and it's private. Bible camp doesnt allow weapons to cross their property so they'll tell you to kick rocks if you show up. Beaches are privately owned so you can't land on em and the rest of the island is super cliffy with no anchorages-- take a look at the charts and you'll see that it goes straight from island to 600 ft deep. I've done it before and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Tried it out for a season along with some other spots in the area and I haven't been back.
    Legally in Canada beaches are public land up to the high-tide mark. But yeah, if the only access to crown land is across the adjacent property then you're stymied aren't you?

A buddy just bought a property on Gambier hopefully to go hunting on. After the season I asked him how it went and he said the neighbours are so close he was afraid to use a rifle. "Gotta get a bow I guess," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Legally in Canada beaches are public land up to the high-tide mark. But yeah, if the only access to crown land is across the adjacent property then you're stymied aren't you?

A buddy just bought a property on Gambier hopefully to go hunting on. After the season I asked him how it went and he said the neighbours are so close he was afraid to use a rifle. "Gotta get a bow I guess," he said.
    As per the granola eater post, I have only cruised by anvil on my way to port mellon area a few times but I think by the looks of it, it deserves its name...it also seems too small to hold many deer

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Texada Island is practically all crown land. Go in November, wear orange, get off the roads.

M.
    NO...Just to clarify, 1/3 of Texada Island is private. With the majority on the northern end. Look on a map before hunting Texada to stay out of trouble, as locals will troll for hunters in the wrong place. If you want to stay away from private, I would hunt the bottom southern half.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    As per the granola eater post, I have only cruised by anvil on my way to port mellon area a few times but I think by the looks of it, it deserves its name...it also seems too small to hold many deer
    I have a friend who has a cabin on a large piece of land adjacent to the church camp property to the west. I can tell you from first hand experience there is a decent number on there. Now in saying that a cougar did get on to the island a few years back and not sure what kind of damage it may have done to the population.