Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern BC ice fishing

Northern BC ice fishing

I see a lot of these ice fishing "shacks" online now. They are done up like cabins and guys are staying out on the ice for days at a time. Wood stoves, porta potty strapped to the back. It's huge in the US and Alberta. Any spots in BC where you see guys camped out in the luxury shacks all winter? Anyone renting them for use?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Northern BC ice fishing

The sleeper hut scene is huge in ON as well, imo those guys set the bar for luxury lol

I've never found anybody renting sleeper huts in BC

we do an annual trip to slave every year, but I know gull lake and sylvan also have some sleeper hut rentals...I setup my tent and stove on the ice as well, nothing beats a hot tent and catching fish from bed
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    The sleeper hut scene is huge in ON as well, imo those guys set the bar for luxury lol

I've never found anybody renting sleeper huts in BC

we do an annual trip to slave every year, but I know gull lake and sylvan also have some sleeper hut rentals...I setup my tent and stove on the ice as well, nothing beats a hot tent and catching fish from bed
    I can imagine the drunkeness that would take place if you were locked in there for two days with the boys.

https://www.southpeacenews.com/pics-...shack-village/

Ours is the 10th picture down.

It is complete w/ diesel heater, DVD and 42" HD TV, bluetooth speakers, two bunks, 6 fishing holes and attached pota-poti with heater. We eat, drink and sleep like kings!! And we catch lots of fish!!!

Just put it back out for another season, but with the the dumb ass rules, I cant go right now. Hopefully things change!

It is a little city out there, 65-80+ "shacks".

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post

It is complete w/ diesel heater, DVD and 42" HD TV, bluetooth speakers, two bunks, 6 fishing holes and attached pota-poti with heater. We eat, drink and sleep like kings!! And we catch lots of fish!!!

Just put it back out for another season, but with the the dumb ass rules, I cant go right now. Hopefully things change!

Cheers

SS
    SS are they all out on Charlie Lake ? any Ice fishing done on Cecil lake ? RJ

Not sure the perma shack would work for what I do when ice fishing. The whole point is to be portable, fish one spot, no action, move to another spot. If you're setting out the perma shack and leaving it in one spot all season it's probably more so you have a warm place to go and have some drinks with your friends or have a camping trip on the ice rather than fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    SS are they all out on Charlie Lake ? any Ice fishing done on Cecil lake ? RJ
    Our shack in on Slave Lake. On Charlie, there is a couple small ones for getting out of the elements but nothing like what we have. Cecil has no fish, too shallow. Great duck hunting though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    Not sure the perma shack would work for what I do when ice fishing. The whole point is to be portable, fish one spot, no action, move to another spot. If you're setting out the perma shack and leaving it in one spot all season it's probably more so you have a warm place to go and have some drinks with your friends or have a camping trip on the ice rather than fishing.
    We do head out on the snowmobile when the weather is nice, but for the most part, we don't need to. We have had 100+ fish weekends; mostly walleye with a good mix of pike and burbot and the odd perch. Eyes have to be 17.5" long and you can only bring home two, so have a big fish fry on Saturdays and take our limit of eyes plus pike and burbot home.

On avg. we catch 20-30 eyes a weekend, plus another 10-15 pike and later in the year, burbot.

Yes we eat and drink like kings, but if you go there to just catch fish, then you are going for the wrong reasons.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Does anybody know how the ice fishing is at Babine Lake and how thick the ice usually gets there?

Cheers

SS

That looks like a hell of a lot o fun
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

We do head out on the snowmobile when the weather is nice, but for the most part, we don't need to. We have had 100+ fish weekends; mostly walleye with a good mix of pike and burbot and the odd perch. Eyes have to be 17.5" long and you can only bring home two, so have a big fish fry on Saturdays and take our limit of eyes plus pike and burbot home.

On avg. we catch 20-30 eyes a weekend, plus another 10-15 pike and later in the year, burbot.

Yes we eat and drink like kings, but if you go there to just catch fish, then you are going for the wrong reasons.

Cheers

SS
    x 2 we are the same way on the sleeper hut trips, it's just as much about hanging out with old college friends as it is for the fishing....it's one of the only times I can take a stress free afternoon nap, it's complete relaxation in the ice hut

and then slave is also a unique fishery on its own, there are of course slow bites but overall it is hard to understand how good the fishing can be, unless you've done it!! there are many many weekends where you just don't need to move to find the fish
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster