Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Incoming Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL - Wind-Plex - Side Focus - 180623

Re: Incoming Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL - Wind-Plex - Side Focus - 180623

Omer has them!! Or at least he did earlier this week.

Thanks for that VLD ! I think I would go with what you have 30 mm tube . I should have went with WF,s recommendation in the first place but I totally missed his post last year when I scoped the new Remington 6.5 and went with the
    VX3i 3.5 -10 x40mm but now I’m thinking I might want higher magnification and CDS . I won’t be shooting out to 800 that’s for sure LOL !
    Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    I just saw some advertised on Cabelas web site. They are the 1 inch tube and no side focus(parallex adjustment). I own two of the ones you mention and really like them. I would definitely go with 30 mm tube and side focus, The CDS is good but does not have the range the VX5 have. I think you would be good to about 800 yds with the 3i CDS. I am sure the new VX3HD will be good, but keep in mind that HD is just a marketing gimmick. HD lenses are more expensive to manufacture and will make little to no difference when you look through one until your out past 800 yds. The only benefit to using HD is optically you get better pictures using the HD . This is part of the reason they are popular on spotting scopes.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Thanks DB I saw that but they are quite pricey compared to the VX3i which if I’m correct is discontinued .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    Omer has them!! Or at least he did earlier this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Thanks for that VLD ! I think I would go with what you have 30 mm tube . I should have went with WF,s recommendation in the first place but I totally missed his post last year when I scoped the new Remington 6.5 and went with the
    VX3i 3.5 -10 x40mm but now I’m thinking I might want higher magnification and CDS . I won’t be shooting out to 800 that’s for sure LOL !
    I have a VX3i 4.5 x 14 30mm side focus cds on my Browning Xbolt Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have shot it out to 700 yds banging steel. It was a lot of fun and both the scope and rifle worked flawlessly. Makes it sort of easy. Good luck with your purchase.

Just mounted my vx3hd and really liking the windplex reticle over the illuminated heavy duplex.

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    Just mounted my vx3hd and really liking the windplex reticle over the illuminated heavy duplex.
    I was looking at the vx5 lineup and the windplex is the only reticle that really makes any sense. The impact 29 looks nice, but I don’t think it’s worth the extra $3-400.

You’d think leupold would make a simple moa reticle with minutes vertical and horizontal.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I was looking at the vx5 lineup and the windplex is the only reticle that really makes any sense. The impact 29 looks nice, but I don’t think it’s worth the extra $3-400.

You’d think leupold would make a simple moa reticle with minutes vertical and horizontal.
    They do make the reticle you ask about. It's just not offered on the models you're looking at. It is called a TMOA reticle. If that it was interests you, you could enquire about placing an order with Leupolds custom shop, or check with Korth and see if they will replace the windplex with a TMOA. Either way it will cost a bunch more money.

Am I correct that they no longer make that model ? Do you think a retainer may have one that did not sell ?
    Arctic Lake
    I have a VX3i 4.5 x 14 30mm side focus cds on my Browning Xbolt Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have shot it out to 700 yds banging steel. It was a lot of fun and both the scope and rifle worked flawlessly. Makes it sort of easy. Good luck with your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Am I correct that they no longer make that model ? Do you think a retainer may have one that did not sell ?
    Arctic Lake
    You are correct, it has been replaced with the VX3HD. So what are you going to use your scope for. The reason I ask is that although I really like the 4.5 x 14, I probably only need a 3.5 x10. It's nice to have the extra power but not necessary. I know cabalas has the VX3i 3.5 x 10 in stock still. The only advantage to the 4.5 x 14 with the 30 mm tube is more magnification and more adjustment range. I read a really good article put out by Leupold dispelling scope misinformation. One of the points was that people think you get more light gathering with a larger tube diameter and this is some what false. Light through the scope is determined by the glass used and by the size of the erector. If you make the erector smaller you effect the exit pupil size and get less light transmission. So to keep the scope as bright as possible while allowing for a greater range of adjustment for distance shooting they increase the main tube diameter. I know you can get caught up in this scope thing, but I can tell you from lots of experience that if you are primarily shooting inside 500 Yds a 3.5 x 10 is all the scope you need. Hope this helps

Thanks for the information VLD . I’m somewhat informed but have a lot to learn as well. I just think the more magnification would be better as I have the VX3i 3.5 - 10 x 40mm with 30mm tube on the rifle now .
    My apologies to Precision not trying to derail your thread !
    Arctic Lake
    You are correct, it has been replaced with the VX3HD. So what are you going to use your scope for. The reason I ask is that although I really like the 4.5 x 14, I probably only need a 3.5 x10. It's nice to have the extra power but not necessary. I know cabalas has the VX3i 3.5 x 10 in stock still. The only advantage to the 4.5 x 14 with the 30 mm tube is more magnification and more adjustment range. I read a really good article put out by Leupold dispelling scope misinformation. One of the points was that people think you get more light gathering with a larger tube diameter and this is some what false. Light through the scope is determined by the glass used and by the size of the erector. If you make the erector smaller you effect the exit pupil size and get less light transmission. So to keep the scope as bright as possible while allowing for a greater range of adjustment for distance shooting they increase the main tube diameter. I know you can get caught up in this scope thing, but I can tell you from lots of experience that if you are primarily shooting inside 500 Yds a 3.5 x 10 is all the scope you need. Hope this helps