Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear advice, new to Vernon

Bear advice, new to Vernon

I moved to Vernon in November so this will be my first spring hunting here, ive only hunted in the Okanagan 2 or 3 times so not really sure where would be a good start. Wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, I have a truck and quad to get me somewhere but definitely don't mind hiking. Any help is appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear advice, new to Vernon

Get a hold of a backroads map book. Pick a road and have at it. Lots of time to get out and find a bear.

Give it two weeks and I think you’d have a harder time picking an area that doesn’t have bear.. go north of Vernon away from the cities or a bit further east.

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    I moved to Vernon in November so this will be my first spring hunting here, ive only hunted in the Okanagan 2 or 3 times so not really sure where would be a good start. Wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, I have a truck and quad to get me somewhere but definitely don't mind hiking. Any help is appreciated.
    head close to salmon arm,,,chase,,(shuswap area),,,,the thick cedars around shuswap should be pooping a few bear out by now,,,,,,im outskirts of kamloops,,(barnhartvale),,,,,,and just this week alone there has already been a few spotted
    Aim small,,miss small

Go up to sugar lake way always had good luck there

Bears near Vernon are pretty skittish from all the early spring dirtbiking that is active already, tough to find a quiet road right now
    An annual hunt is a drive up Noble Canyon , up Bardolph fsr , poke around various roads and blocks north toward the Park boundary, then down Deaffies fsr to Lumby for a beer at the Blue Ox
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    Bears near Vernon are pretty skittish from all the early spring dirtbiking that is active already, tough to find a quiet road right now
    An annual hunt is a drive up Noble Canyon , up Bardolph fsr , poke around various roads and blocks north toward the Park boundary, then down Deaffies fsr to Lumby for a beer at the Blue Ox
    Not necessarily stuck on staying around here, just not sure where abouts to head I don't mind traveling a little,ive just only really ever spent time in region 3

I've seen bear up around Oyama Lake, but that was a few years ago. King Ed FSR does see quite a bit of traffic but there are many spurs & secondary roads if you wish to explore. With the cold April we've had, continued snow at elevation, travel is going to be tough if not impossible once you get to around 1,000 meters, unless there's active logging.

Another place I've spotted bear is up around Keefer Lake in the Monashees. That's past Sugar Lake with the turn off left near the Monashee Pass on Hwy 6. Takes almost 2 hours to get there, but little to no traffic this time of year. Keefer Lake FSR is always cleared because there's a year round lodge at Km 13. Plenty of spurs to explore there as well. There's another major FSR lower down, right off Hwy 6, don't recall the name but it more or less follows the Kettle valley if not mistaken. I don't go after spring bear, most of the sightings I've made are during the warmer months, accidental.
    Last edited by mike31154; 04-16-2022 at 11:39 AM.

Anything Monashee is a waste of time for bears until mid-late May. Keefer and Kettle were both plowed last winter for logging contractors, if you want to poke around and get familiar with those 2 roads.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Anything Monashee is a waste of time for bears until mid-late May. Keefer and Kettle were both plowed last winter for logging contractors, if you want to poke around and get familiar with those 2 roads.
    North of vernon a hour or two should hold tonnes of bears i would say east a hour or two would be great aswell..i hunt bears near fawning areas and shoot the bears that poop hooves.. i am also lucky or unlucky enough to shoot them from home.