Thread: Tips to find a location to practice shooting?

Question Tips to find a location to practice shooting?

Hey folks,

I am from Vancouver and I am trying to find locations where I can practice my rifle shooting in the wild. I am familiar with some of the restrictions like no shooting zones, staying away from roads and favoring crown land. Yet, usually people end up with really remote areas recommendations.

I see places like Squamish where, in theory, you could find a lot of spots that meet the criteria. Am I missing something? I see a lot of service roads on google maps and some pretty decent clearings, lots of line of sight and with what looks like proper back stops. In the end, if I went to a place and it didn't feel safe I would not go ahead.

Any advice you guys have have on how to find spots is definitely appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tips to find a location to practice shooting?

Squamish no shooting zones have expanded hugely in the past few years due to idiots shooting in all kinds of unsafe areas. I appreciate that you may not be one of those folks, but if you want to shoot in close proximity to Vancouver, just join the gun club and shoot in Coquitlam. It’s very hard to find anywhere safe AND suitable to shoot at distances over 50 yards these days. People are EVERYWHERE!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Even in bush finding 100yard gravel pits wasn't that easy.

At the cost of gas, a club membership starts to look good.

Best advice I can give you is to pick an FSR and start driving and start scoping out spots. 10 years ago I had spots within 15 minutes South of Squamish, now I'm driving an hour North of Squamish and even then, there's been people camping in those areas multiple times in the last 2 years, so have had to find spots even further North.

I second the "find a range/club". It's worth the money (and the liability insurance most provide is a nice benefit in certain situations). I used to be like you but, as many have stated, nowadays it's just not worth the money, say thanks to many idiots that don't understand basic safety and the concept of a backstop. I have a bullet hole in my fender from such a "valuable member of society" to prove it, and I keep it there as a reminder to myself...

I have joined the Mission club and I was hoping to also have a "free" spot but from the look of all the answers it may be tougher than I thought. Have you heard of the iHunter app? Do you know if their "no shooting areas" is reliable enough?

I found it fairly accurate in teh past but cannot comment on how fast they include new areas.....

you are better off to just join a club. Cheaper than gas and safer considering there are people everywhere.

The SVR&GC is a great little range. Lunch and coffee a few minutes away. Winchester Winchester Chicken Dinchester.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.