Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpack food alternatives

Re: Backpack food alternatives

I have to say though: Pretty much most of my food is home made dehydrated, but I DO love the freeze dried desserts! Nothing like a bit of sweet decadence for the evening, mood booster for bad weather periods, or pick me up for grumpy hunting companions

Dump that MH out on the ground for the squirrels. Get some Peak Refuel - you'll never go back!

Another vote for the dehydrator. Download Andrew Skurka's recipe book, and/or the one a backpackingchef.com and you're set. I vacuum pack meals, store them in the freezer, then just add your water directly into the foodsaver bags. Costs next to nothing to make and tastes good. And then you can make all the jerky your heart desires.

I am not a mountain hunter so weight is not the utmost importance to me, just a consideration. If I am just going on a week long hike I take a couple of the Tiberino pastas. Lay flat, have dehydrated sauces already mixed, and taste really good. Each one weighs about 7 to 9 ounces so not the lightest but will easily feed 2 people. Just add water.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Vini View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Looking for alternatives to Mountain House for back-country (freeze dried/dehydrated) food.

I know of Heather's Choice and have ordered sampler pack.

Ultimately, I'm looking for healthier food that is made in Canada.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    west coast kitchen

Peak refuel, best I’ve eaten.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Thanks everyone,

Personally, I would probably go down the DIY route, but this question was for a friend, not a hunter, that is going on an extended hike.

Much appreciated

I'm planning to buy a Harvest Right home freeze dryer this year and go the DIY route. It's an expensive purchase, but it can be used to preserve many types of food items. Just imagine whipping up roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, that is exactly the same as you make at home (or pretty darn close anyway), while on a long mountain hunt. Definitely a morale booster.

That’s pretty cool I hadn’t seen the home freeze dryers yet. But ya that’s a little costly. Probably going to just stay with the old dehydrator for now.