Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 134

Thread: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince George
    Posts
    492

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    There’s a few key points that should be kept in mind;

    - man has hunted for thousands of years.
    - predators (competition or threat to life) have been thinned out by man for thousands of years.

    Now let’s look at what’s going on, we’ve got an anti hunting enviro movement taking place that’s asking for the shutdown of predator hunting & trapping.
    What will it do to the “Social License” of the anti hunting organization if they are successful in their closures of Apex predators and all species of wildlife are decimated due to their actions.
    I would suggest that you study on what happens when so called “Predator Pits” are created through irresponsible or non existent wildlife management.
    For wildlife management to exist all species must be included in the plan .....you cannot leave a handful out of the equation.
    The anti group driving this campaign can’t be reasoned with.
    The “motherships” are in it for the money and for the most part the followers are irrational.
    The 80% of BC’s population that are neither pro of anti hunting are who we should be talking to and tell that if the support this anti movement their Social License towards the well being of wildlife will no longer exist.
    We will gain more ground going that route than defending bear hunts because our families like double smoked bear hams.

    We’ll just be told to go to the store and buy some pig.

    I agree. And I think you said it more clearly than I did.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    1,342

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    I think that when it comes to motivation we should recognize that there is a lot of disagreement among us because each of us has slightly different to way different motivations.

    That's ok.

    We don't have to pick one motivation.

    If I tell my brother that I hunt to put food in the freezer he'll laugh me off as a loser and say I should get off my fat wallet and go tot he store. If I push him he'll say "BS. You don't hunt for food". He just won't buy it. In that case Bear Valley is right.

    But....there is no question that venison diplomacy works. Both Meateater on the big stage and EatWild here locally have demonstrated that hunting for food is widely accepted as valid (and popular).

    If I tell my old buddy the fire captain about predator pits? He's going to tune me out. He'll say "Nature used to work fine on it's own". I can explain how the world doesn't work like he thinks, but trust me, he won't buy it (He jokes about how I murder innocent bears that are just minding their own business).

    Point being - we don't need to pick a single motivation. We probably do better with multiple motivations that are acceptable to that 80% in the middle.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,240

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    Rob It is important to be honest about the membership no matter how offensive. Owning the reality. Stick to the truth the truth will set you free.
    Personally my motivations have always been in flux. You can only paint me with a broad brush. Trophy, meat(sustenance) ,management, enjoyment, income ,social. At times obsessive other laissez faire.
    Thomas Sowell said: “Activism is a way for useless people to feel important, even if the consequences of their activism are counterproductive for those they claim to be helping and damaging to the fabric of society as a whole.”

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    13

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I think that when it comes to motivation we should recognize that there is a lot of disagreement among us because each of us has slightly different to way different motivations.

    That's ok.

    We don't have to pick one motivation.

    If I tell my brother that I hunt to put food in the freezer he'll laugh me off as a loser and say I should get off my fat wallet and go tot he store. If I push him he'll say "BS. You don't hunt for food". He just won't buy it. In that case Bear Valley is right.

    But....there is no question that venison diplomacy works. Both Meateater on the big stage and EatWild here locally have demonstrated that hunting for food is widely accepted as valid (and popular).

    If I tell my old buddy the fire captain about predator pits? He's going to tune me out. He'll say "Nature used to work fine on it's own". I can explain how the world doesn't work like he thinks, but trust me, he won't buy it (He jokes about how I murder innocent bears that are just minding their own business).

    Point being - we don't need to pick a single motivation. We probably do better with multiple motivations that are acceptable to that 80% in the middle.
    so you believe the approach you have presented is working to defend hunting for all? Residents, First Nations , outfitters?

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,205

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Rob It is important to be honest about the membership no matter how offensive. Owning the reality. Stick to the truth the truth will set you free.
    Personally my motivations have always been in flux. You can only paint me with a broad brush. Trophy, meat(sustenance) ,management, enjoyment, income ,social. At times obsessive other laissez faire.
    Andy, I respect an honest man.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Lower mainland
    Posts
    88

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    It’s incredibly tough to defend why we hunt when u have antis that don’t listen to a thing you say, I’ve been in a situation at school where a handful of kids were bashing the crap out of me I told em every reason you could think of, but not even a single budge from any of them, they stuck to the your pathetic, you disgust me, I hope you get shot, bullcrap

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,898

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
    Wholly shit I though I had seen everything, but I am to be corrected again. j270wsm, it will be you, LBM, Jager and others that will bellyaching on this forum in a few years wondering why you aren't hunting wolves and bears and you will be blaming Jesse for not doing enough. You don't think the lawyer will be monitoring this site to discredit any spokesperson that has the resources to defend a sustainable hunt for food and the protection of ungulates, and here are you donkeys just adding to the argument for the ban.

    Jesse did a fantastic job of sticking to the facts and data, in a volatile situation, where there is no rationalization with the other side due to their emotional connection to the subject matter, you stick to the facts, if you have to keep repeating those facts then so be it, but don't waver.

    I cannot believe half the shit that is spewed out on this forum. There are some real intelligent people then there are those that just don't get it.
    Pull your head out of your ass!!

    Do i think that jessie had some good points.....yes. Do I want to admit that he didn’t do very well in the debate....NO. If people like myself aren’t allowed to express our interpretation of the debate then how do we learn from the debate? When it came to answering rebeka’s question about how the ministry came up with the estimated numbers of bears or the allowable harvest numbers......referencing complaints to co’s about nuisance bears was the worst answer he could have given. A simple reference to biologists and the scientifically proven study’s that they have used for 30,40,50yrs would have been the best option. I guarantee that any non hunter listening laughed when he referenced using nuisance bear calls as a way to estimate bear populations.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    15

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    That sucks Kos, those people sound like idiots and assholes. Good on you for trying to explain what your hunting is, but I would walk away, people like that aren’t worth it

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Lower mainland
    Posts
    88

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    Quote Originally Posted by umos View Post
    That sucks Kos, those people sound like idiots and assholes. Good on you for trying to explain what your hunting is, but I would walk away, people like that aren’t worth it
    it would suck because kids in the class would’ve talked about what they’re passionate about and what they love doing and I couldn’t talk about what I loved to do. Whatever I’m over those days, now I just talk about hunting when safe to do so lol.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Born in the 4-9
    Posts
    696

    Re: Rebeka Breder trying to ban Wolf an Bear hunting

    Kos- are your classmates all vegans? If not, just explain how factory farming works, show them a few pictures and that should shut them up about how “cruel” hunting is.

    I showed a friend who is not a hunter (although he is not anti at all) the screenshot of the “health” app on my phone the day we took our two blacktail this fall. The thousands of feet of elevation and 18 kms walked were an eye opener for him. Especially when I mentioned that was after two similar days, on one of the two or three trips I do per year. I started to explain the cost of hunting in time off work, equipment etc and the price per pound of venison blew his mind. I think in a good way. He has a lot more respect for hunting now. As long as he tells two friends etc etc...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

    BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •