Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit the Bullet

Bit the Bullet

Finally ordered myself a new pack today and went with the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Cant wait to see how it is!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bit the Bullet

Got the same pack. Like it so far but didn't get anywhere near enough miles with it this year as I wanted
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Pretty hard to beat the Metcalf for a do-all pack, especially if you're not going to be doing any extended mountain trips. I'd suggest adding a couple waist belt pockets
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Yeah and if I do want to go on any extended trips I can just get a larger bag to put on the frame..

I love mine. Bought in 2018 and put some serious miles on it. Works great as a day pack - 5-7 days in the mountains. It will be a bit tight for 10 days. Food being the only really extra thing you have to bring on a 5 vs 10 day. With the right gear I think I can pull off a 10 day hunt with it.

I bit the bullet as well and have a new metcalf ,now what rain fly / cover are you metcalf veterans using?
    Duck tape can fix everything but stupid

Mystery Ranch makes great stuff. I've had a NICE frame and 6500 pack for over a decade and it's still great.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I got one this year and really like. Did a few 3 nighters and got to fill it up with deer and found that it carries weight really well.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Mystery Ranch makes great stuff. I've had a NICE frame and 6500 pack for over a decade and it's still great.
    I agree, Ive tried most all the top end packs Exo Mtn Gear, Stone Glacier, KUIU and for me the most comfortable pack is the MR Nice frame, a little heavier but so comfortable.
    My day pack is the MR Guidelight and the Crewcab bag, hard to go wrong with MR packs.
    7-6.5 PRCW the best cartridge since the 280 Ackley 👍

Solid choice BCHoyt! I bought a Metcalf a few years ago off Todbartell and think it's a great pack, high quality material and stitching. Having said that, I was considering selling it this spring as it's become a garage princess. My method of still hunting leaves me within sight or at most a 5-10 minute walk in and off a FSR.. As such, my most use for the pack is as a suitcase of some sort and it's sat in the wall tent or the cabin for 99% of my trips. Shame.