Thread: Organizing your pack

Organizing your pack

Like the title says what are guys using to keep things organized in there packs. Like keeping your socks and underwear separated from your cook stuff and so on.
    Do people use mesh bags or dry bags?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Organizing your pack

I have a bunch of Kifaru pullouts that I use for most stuff. Any of my clothes go in dry sacs or garbage bags.

There’s a flip to organization though, it takes up more room. My dad, his pack is always smaller then mine, with the same amount of, stuff. He uses no organization, crams things where they fit. With my organization, there’s always air pockets in my pack.

Decker makes a good point. I am an organization freak and like to use pockets and lightweight dry bags. Both my partners last year were “crammers”. There are pros and cons. If we stopped and needed something quick I would have it in my hands in a second, the other two had frequent yard sales.

I just switched from EXO to Kifaru for that reason alone. I love the EXO system and have absolutely no complaints. I have hauled several 120-150 lb loads with no issue. Their packs don’t have much in the way of pockets and the Kifaru 44 mag paired with belt pouches and lid have more than enough.

It boils down to what works for the individual.

I prefer lightweight roll top dry bags. If you squeeze all the air out they are easy to manipulate to fit into every nook and cranny in the pack. Colors help organize it, also great for keeping things dry when crossing creeks or bad weather.
    I also use some heavy dut elastic bands or velcro strap to group things together that aren't in bags.

we also use Very large roll top dry bags for backcountry meat storage, sink the meat in a creek.
    Make Your Own Luck

Would these be alright for organizing a pack?

https://vpo.ca/product/303434/ultralight-zip-sack-set
    Just a conspiracy bro!

Small dry bags & those large ziplock freezer bags work good. Mesh is ok but waterproof bags add some dry protection if your pack gets rain soaked or you go for a dunk in a stream crossing. Plus the dry bags can be used to tote/store lots of water if your campsite is dry

Some stuff can be vacuum sealed. I keep a complete spare base layer + pair of socks vacuum sealed, as well as a few other emergency items. Odds are they won’t be opened, and compact well.

I use a white kitchen garbage bag, the thin but tough stretchable kind, for extra “change” of clothes...which are fairly minimal. Pair of wool socks, zip neck merino poly blend Costco shirt and long johns, plus spare handkerchiefs. I use another kitchen garbage bag for warmer clothes in the pack to include Super down zip-off pants, Superdown jacket, warm gloves & cap, zip-off long Johns and rain gear.

Food goes in a few OR brand sil nylon bags. Some is further packed into Ziplok freezer weight bags.

Small ziplocks are used to organize small items (archery stuff). “Pint” freezer style ziplocks serve as an iPhone case and InReach case.

Good luck!

Back when I was young my pack was one big bag. I used the nylon bags that the cheep pup tents came in. Most were the full height of the pack and each a different color so I knew what is in each. Can even make some out of any old rip stop nylon tent or jacket. Nothing was ever buried in the bottom that way.

Not going to be packing again so my one tip, long thin vice grips. A thousand uses mostly for my handles fry pan, but move pots and pans around the fire. Never owned a pack stove.
    Last edited by MRP; 02-16-2021 at 08:12 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Done both, but prefer my gear organized. Nothing worse than needing something quick, especially in the pissing rain. Knowing where to go and grab what you need is much more gratifying. Ziplocks and vacuum sealed sure makes things neat and tidy.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I have cloth bags that my mother and law made me that work well for organizing my pack...