Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy Old or New Stuffer

Buy Old or New Stuffer

I'm looking to buy a sausage stuffer. Lots of options out there. I have a budget of around $300.

I could buy something like a smaller new LEM, an old cast iron F Dick, or various other stuffers that are out there.

I can buy a really nice condition old one (like the picture below but much nicer) for relatively cheap.

Any thoughts?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Buy Old or New Stuffer

Stick with the one in the picture if you can find one in good condition and cheap. The ones without a big elbow at the bottom going to the stuffing tube are nice because you don't end up with a bunch of unstuffed meat left over.

Quote Originally Posted by grantk View Post
    Stick with the one in the picture if you can find one in good condition and cheap. The ones without a big elbow at the bottom going to the stuffing tube are nice because you don't end up with a bunch of unstuffed meat left over.
    Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'm going to see a nice looking one that's the same type as in the picture tomorrow. 9 litre f dick brand for about the same price as one of the small princess auto ones.

Man are you kidding me an F. Dick for cheap , pick it up . Might be hard to find parts for the old one though. F.Dick has been making equipment for a very long time . Made in Germany !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I'm looking to buy a sausage stuffer. Lots of options out there. I have a budget of around $300.

I could buy something like a smaller new LEM, an old cast iron F Dick, or various other stuffers that are out there.

I can buy a really nice condition old one (like the picture below but much nicer) for relatively cheap.

Any thoughts?
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Man are you kidding me an F. Dick for cheap , pick it up . Might be hard to find parts for the old one though. F.Dick has been making equipment for a very long time . Made in Germany !
    Arctic Lake
    Thanks, I can use all the help I can get when it comes to sausage making and equipment. Good point about the parts. I'm guessing that the gears will last a while. I'm wondering if the part most likely to fail would be however it seals under pressure. I should probably look into the parts issue.

Speaking of old sausage stuffers, I saw an old Husqvarna horizontal on the island that I would guess is from the 30's. Saw a similar one discussed on another forum where the Husqvarna museum provided the guy with a copy of its old paperwork.

Yes as good as the F.Dick equipment is if you can no longer get parts well....... that’s a problem. Any rubber seals might be able to be solved by an aftermarket fix , but not sure . I believe HBC member S. Rupp has a F. Dick stuffer you might want to get in touch with him
    Arctic Lake
    QUOTE=IslandWanderer;2233646]Thanks, I can use all the help I can get when it comes to sausage making and equipment. Good point about the parts. I'm guessing that the gears will last a while. I'm wondering if the part most likely to fail would be however it seals under pressure. I should probably look into the parts issue.[/QUOTE]

You will find F. Dick in meat shops . Does this answer your question

Yep ! They also make the best butcher and culinary steels in the world . Top Drawer Equipment !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk19 View Post
    You will find F. Dick in meat shops . Does this answer your question

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have a look at it today to see how well it seals and if it looks like I could fix the seal if needed in the future. I'll post pictures of it later if I buy it.