Thread: Okanagan Canada Goose - Any Mentors Out There?

Okanagan Canada Goose - Any Mentors Out There?

I'm looking for someone who would be willing to help me out for the upcoming opening for Geese. I'm based in West Kelowna but would travel within the valley. I don't have any waterfowling experience, but I do have a chocolate lab who is great in the water and fetches well. Please send me a PM, even if you just have any tips for me. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Okanagan Canada Goose - Any Mentors Out There?

Drive around and find a orchard were the geese are feeding , start knocking on doors asking permission . Good luck not much for public land for waterfall hunting in the OK Valley .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Thanks. I have heard that you also need a special permit to discharge firearms within Kelowna city limits, but not West Kelowna; and also that some municipalities (eg. Osoyoos) actively encourage hunting for them, while others (eg. Vernon) actively discourage hunting. Hard to find clear direction, this is just what I've heard from calling/asking around.

Is the valley bottom near the lake my only option? I've seen the odd goose at higher elevations in the spring (after the season closes), but I don't think they'd be up there now. But is there a middle ground potentially?

Also I wondered about Vaseux Lake. There's a small section of crown land that borders the lake but I don't know about the legalities of any of the rest of it.

Virtually all the Canada geese that haven't or don't migrate will be found in town, no hunting. The City of Vernon is planning to spend 400K on a cull this summer as they are a nuisance on the beaches. Much of Vaseaux lake is a migratory bird preserve, no hunting. Only water fowling I've done since moving here is during the fall, up in Alpine lakes or on the Thompson plateau. Not to burst your bubble, but your prospects are limited to none.

City of Vernon has approved $41, 000.00 to cull up to 150 geese:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ct...1_5282813.html

I wish west kelowna would do the same. The non migrating geese are a huge nuisance

I'm a new hunter as well and found a spot to hunt waterfowl over Christmas. Didn't get a goose flying quite low enough, but it was close. The spots are out there so don't be discouraged.

For legality of where you can shoot I ended up calling the local CO in the south Okanagan and he was very helpful. Had to leave a voice mail and he got back to me about a week later and confirmed I was legal.
    Last edited by MZac; 02-15-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Are you talking spots bordering the big lake? I see a few spots of crown and some parks, mostly along the west side. Not a bad plan to start there?

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    City of Vernon has approved $41, 000.00 to cull up to 150 geese:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ct...1_5282813.html

I wish west kelowna would do the same. The non migrating geese are a huge nuisance

I'm a new hunter as well and found a spot to hunt waterfowl over Christmas. Didn't get a goose flying quite low enough, but it was close. The spots are out there so don't be discouraged.

For legality of where you can shoot I ended up calling the local CO in the south Okanagan and he was very helpful. Had to leave a voice mail and he got back to me about a week later and confirmed I was legal.
    A lot of good meat will go to waste, that's a shame. If only politicians had some gonads & vision. I'd be happy to help out with my bow or alternatively .22 cal shorts, .410 ga under the right conditions. I've been meaning to get a .410 or maybe 20 ga to go with the 12 ga.

If you check the regs. page 88 & 89 you'll see Maps J4 & J12 south of Penticton & Naramata respectively. Both have sizable areas for Firearms Using Shot Only. I've never been to Naramata but have travelled East Side Rd between OK Falls & Penticton very often. During the fall there will be the occasional duck in small ponds on the wrong side of the road, rarely any on Skaha where shooting would be legal. I've never seen anyone actually hunting there. There are many lakefront properties & I don't think the residents would be keen on 12 ga going off, even at a legal distance. As soon as you enter Penticton from the south, there is a small lake on the left side of the road next to parking lot for north beach of Skaha, full of ducks & geese. They know where it's safe.

There's a guy on the "other" hunting website that hunts in Kelowna in city limits. PM me if you want his 'handle'.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....