Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First semi 12 gauge

First semi 12 gauge

hey,

Originally from the UK now living out in BC for about 2 years, not too far from Kamloops. Used to shoot back home but only over under 12 gauge for pheasants and waterfowl. Spoke to a few people out here, most of them suggested 12 gauge pump for first gun, but since I’ve got some experience back home was thinking I may just go straight to a semi. That a dumb thing to do? If not any recommendations? The cheaper it is the better but obviously don’t want something that’s shoddy. Looking at waterfowl, pheasant, hares etc. So small game.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First semi 12 gauge

Look for a good used Remington 1100... with improved cylinder or with choke tubes. A very reliable gun for a long time...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Not trying to be negative but have you completed the BC. Core program and do you have your FAC ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by UKhunter View Post
    hey,

Originally from the UK now living out in BC for about 2 years, not too far from Kamloops. Used to shoot back home but only over under 12 gauge for pheasants and waterfowl. Spoke to a few people out here, most of them suggested 12 gauge pump for first gun, but since I’ve got some experience back home was thinking I may just go straight to a semi. That a dumb thing to do? If not any recommendations? The cheaper it is the better but obviously don’t want something that’s shoddy. Looking at waterfowl, pheasant, hares etc. So small game.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by UKhunter View Post
    hey,

I lived in the UK for many years and did lots of shooting while I was there. The only time I heard of anyone using a pump or semi was shooting greylag geese in the Outer Hebrides. Never actually saw one in action there and always used an o/u or s/s. I loved the driven pheasant shoots and walked up game shooting but it was very different to the shooting here.

I would not necessarily regard a pump a step on the road to a semi. I have always shot a pump for ducks and would not hesitate to use it for pheasants. That said, for upland hunting, it would not be my first choice (but nor would a semi be necessarily). There are lots of guys on here who can direct you to their preferred semi - and there are a lot of good ones - but, failing that, you will find lots of good used pumps (and semis) on sites like gunpost.ca. Personally I have always coveted an old Belgian-made Browning Auto 5 for its classic waterfowling lineage. But my old 870 gets it done and I have never got around to pulling the trigger on the Browning. My next gun will be a FN-made Browning o/u.

As Guntech suggested a good old Remington 1100. Also depending on how much you want to spend, baretta's are good guns and so are benelli's. Just a little more expensive.

SX3 all the way, there’s one for sale as we speak…haha

Big fan of my SX4. Sure plenty of people do well with their singles, SxSs, O/Us and pumps but semis are just lovely when you have those opportunities to clear out a flight. And another advantage is that they are not hard on the shoulder. I don't think I did better when my shot pump in the field but the experience is just nice.

Shooting a shotgun well is all about gun fit. Try out as many semi-auto guns as you can beg or borrow. Most/many guys at the range are happy enough to allow you to try out their gun.
    Winchester SX3, Browning Silver, or Beretta A300/400 - or some top brand older used guns, would get you into a reliable quality gun for waterfowl.
    For upland hunting, I am a light double gun shooter.

Stoeger m3500,cones with 3 or 4 chokes and right around $1000

My 1st shotgun was SKB gas operated semi purchased way back in the 1980's. Not as well known as other brands but a quality piece made in Japan. They were out of business for a few years but have resurfaced with guns manufactured in Turkey. Over the last few years I've picked up a couple well used Belgian Browning A5's. Recoil operated golden oldies. One of them had a faulty after market adjustable choke which I had removed by a gunsmith.

SKB. It's quite light & handy with barrel threaded externally for chokes.

A5's. Other than barrels, replacement parts for these are still readily available. Top is full choke barrel, bottom with variable choke cut off is now my slug gun.

One of the bonus features of semis vs pumps is a little less recoil.
    Last edited by mike31154; 05-03-2021 at 10:35 AM.