Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Bowhunting, 1st upgrade?

New to Bowhunting, 1st upgrade?

Hello all,
    Well after a very long wait, i have finally been able to get into this sport. I purchased one step up from entry level bow to get started. I don't have buyers remorse but already (300 shots so far) noticing the ready to shoot package isn't quite to my standards. Question to others here is what would be the first item on your bow that you would upgrade?
    sight
    rest
    string
    stabilizer
    quiver?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to Bowhunting, 1st upgrade?

Might help to know what you have. A good release is always nice.

Ya what's the set up so far? If it's a lower end bow with a factory string that might be the first thing to change.

New off the shelf 2yr old PSE Drive 3 with factory string
    PSE pro package which was a basic 5 pin sight and stabilizer from Black Mtn and pse, cable drop away rest
    crappy quiver which i will have to replace if hunting as its too short and is set out quite away from the bow.
    wrist release i did some research so spent more there and am pretty happy with it so far.
    Arrows - just some basic ones for target practice but will look (and cringe haha) at Easton Axis or similar closer to hunting season.

Your Drive is a good rig....don’t let the price point or anyone tell you it isn’t. I don’t have one but have shot one lots...and watched a hunting partner of mine kill a few bears and deer with one. Not sure if it’s a 3 or not. You can get it very quiet with dampers. Good bow for the money if you ask me.

also....I think he upgraded fall away, sight and quiver.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

What issues are you having with it that you are thinking to upgrade. Start with making sure your shooting form is good. Then id take a look at your bows tune. Don't bother spending money until you know that's dialed. You probably dont need a new string unless its showing wear. To much pin float, maybe a new stabilizer. Want to practice a bit farther out, new sight with slider or such. You could also just move your existing sight temporarily. If the quiver doesn't hold arrows very well then definitely replace that, you don't want broadheads flopping around. My Vote would be quiver and some arrows

I have a Drive R. They are very good bows. Since purchase I have gone to an HHA single pin slider, Bee Stinger stabilizer, set of strings and a Tight Spot quiver. Biggest upgrade to accuracy was the single pin sight and properly tuned arrows.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Ya i am happy with the bow itself no question. So far i have some issues with the rest for a hunting scenario, arrow flops around and it noisy. Sight i am trying to get used to. 5 pins seems busy to me, used to my b&c reticle from hunting. Never really liked the hash mark set up on my xbow. May move to a 2 pin sliding sight but in no rush. i am lucky enough to be able to shoot daily (unless it stays -20) so hoping to keep up the 50-100 shots per week till hunting season.

I use a 5 pin as well....only two colours though. My 40 pin is off colour from the rest so it’s easy to pick up and doesn’t seem too busy to me.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Find the closest bow shop near your place that local experienced archers trust and set up a visit in the spring. We are very fortunate here in the EK to have Kootenay Archery. A visit there involves some shooting time and honest conversations on technique and equipment.