Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric coolers/freezers

Electric coolers/freezers

Just in the market for a electric cooler/freezer combo and wondering who has experience with these. I will post a link to the ones im looking at. They aren't cheap but from what i have read these are the best ones out there. I want something reliable. I like the battery pack idea also but this is all new to me so looking for some input before ordering. Cheers

Dometic portable cooling – RV Parts Online Canada

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Electric coolers/freezers

I have an ARB cooler and it has been excellent for the last 10 years. I've had Dometic fridges and they've also worked flawlessly. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the top 3 brands.

Pay attention to how the lid opens, that will help define how you store and use the cooler. Try to find layouts of the cooler interior, the compressor is inside the useable space, so when you see pics of the cooler, a portion is not useable. They often take pictures to minimize this effect.

I have a 70q and I find it is often too large for a weekend of food for 2, but too small for bringing home animals. I've settled on freezing water bottles in the ARB and then putting those into coolers with the meat for the trip home. Negative of this is its tough to store food in there without it freezing while out hunting.

You'll definitely want some sort of additional battery, the Dometic one seems pricey. But it's easy, so maybe it's acceptable.

What are you going to use it for? If your going to use it for transporting meat home from hunt camp why not buy a small freezer or refrigerator? I have been using a small freezer in the back of pickup and have had no problems with getting meat home, you can store your food and beer in it before loading it with your game.
    You can get used ones that are in great working condition cheap or free, a lot less than one of those Dometics.
    MM

I've got one of these on a 13cu ft freezer that could be placed on a trailer or pickup without a canopy and a cheap genny for half those in the link above. Assuming it's for cooling game in the field this does and has worked fantastic. You're welcome to come see my set up if game cooling is the intent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFV_5B32aMs

Last edited by Steeleco; 02-11-2021 at 04:20 PM.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

https://mikescustomtoys.com/index.ph...products_id=45

And I think 'iceco' seem to be reasonably priced models.

I've been considering getting one and ditching the cooler. And, if I need tons of capacity I would bring the cooler and make my own ice if needed.

I have an Edgestar 120V/12V fridge/freezer. It's about 6 years old and still works great. I think I paid about $500 USD for it. It's also the garage beer fridge so it gets used a lot. I haven't used it as a freezer much though so I can't comment on how well it freezes but what a difference it makes for camping trips or long road trips etc. When we used to go family camping in tents before we got a trailer I could get a long weekend out of a Motomaster AGM that's a little over 100amp/hr if I remember right and a small solar panel. As long as I keep the fridge in the shade I can run it pretty cold on hot summer days.

We do a lot of dry camping and weekend riding trips. I will be using it for hunting and hauling game also but we often bring a small deep freeze and a genny on our moose trips anyways. Main use would be summer riding/fishing trips for food and drink storage. The amount of money spent on ice and the rising cost makes these a no brainer for us. We decided on the 55L and Battery pack. Found all good reviews on this combo and even got a discount code! Thanks for the input

I've used them in Africa and Australia. They can hold meat frozen. But I used esky in Aus for beer and a cooler in Africa. They have a small capacity. There is one brand that had a much better rep, of course I have forgotten which. They use to be made in Aus, but now in China. So that might not hold true anymore.

Just a follow up on this post. My 55L and battery pack arrived last week and after some initial testing and messing around with this combo i must say im very very happy! This unit gets cold in no time at all and to freezing temps if desired not long after! As for the battery pack i will admit i was blown away by how long this thing lasts!!! Almost two full days running the cooler and still has a charge. This pack will be in my truck at all times as it serves multiple purposes. If Anyone in the market for these you cannot go wrong with this combo!! Its a pricey start up but worth every cent IMO. I started to record what we spend on ice in a season and it made this purchase even easier. Much more than i care to admit. Feel free to message me for details on what i paid etc.... I even got a discount after reaching out to the vendor. Cheers

did you get the dometic that is in your link?