Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric coolers/freezers

Re: Electric coolers/freezers

Why not post up the contact info for the vendor. And, I'm too interested in exactly what model you got.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    What are you going to use it for? If your going to use it for transporting meat home from hunt camp why not buy a small freezer or refrigerator? I have been using a small freezer in the back of pickup and have had no problems with getting meat home, you can store your food and beer in it before loading it with your game.
    You can get used ones that are in great working condition cheap or free, a lot less than one of those Dometics.
    MM
    x2 ... I have a generator now, so will be looking to get a cheap used deep freeze and throw it in the back of a trailer. Should work really well.
    Used deep freeze units can be had for dirt cheap - Of course, they are not compact like the portable ones on the first page.

These are the two units i purchased. I will link below. I reached out to them via email and received a 5% discount. They used to be a sponsor on this site also i found. Super easy to deal with.

Dometic PLB40 Power pack – RV Parts Online Canada

Dometic CFX3-55IM Portable cooler/freezer – RV Parts Online Canada

Did the first weekend adventure with the new set up and it didnt disappoint! Didnt buy ice for the beers and it kept them frosty all weekend long along with all the food! If i can figure out how to post some pics with the new computer i will!

I've been using a Bougerv electric cooler for a few years now and I'm very happy with it. It's kept my food and drinks cold even in the hottest weather. I also like that it's more spacious than my old ice cooler since I don't have to pack ice.

I picked up a small chest style cooler/freezer, put it in the trailer, and ran it off a small generator on my moose hunt this year. Put all the frozen food in it and it stayed frozen in the stupid 30+ degree heat we had at the end of Sept early Oct. The plan was to switch it to cooler mode if/when we got an animal. Unfortunately didn't get to try it out that way. Sure took away any anxiety about our food thawing out.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I love my budget-friendly options, and the BougeRV portable electric coolers has been a solid choice for me. It's not the most feature-packed, but it gets the job done for weekend camping trips and picnics. It's super portable and easy to store, and it cools down quickly. I usually pair it with a solar panel to keep it charged off-grid, and it works like a charm.

I had a Whynter cooler/freezer in the back seat of my pickup for years and worked great, until it got too hot in the cab and then it couldnt keep up and would drain the battery fast. I concluded I needed better ventilation but was definitely handy for longer trips where ice would melt fast. As far as freezing an animal when you're hunting, that freezer would take forever and would recommend the generator/AC freezer option like others have stated
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I picked up a small chest style cooler/freezer, put it in the trailer, and ran it off a small generator on my moose hunt this year. Put all the frozen food in it and it stayed frozen in the stupid 30+ degree heat we had at the end of Sept early Oct. The plan was to switch it to cooler mode if/when we got an animal. Unfortunately didn't get to try it out that way. Sure took away any anxiety about our food thawing out.
    How often did you have to run the generator to keep it frozen? Those portable units are just so expensive for such small units so I was looking at the small freezers [3 cu ft] with the idea of getting one of those and a generator.