Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rats?

Re: Hunting Rats?

When I was a kid we used to trap them in the hay sheds on the ranch. We used to use whisky as bait, my mother said that was what they used when she was a kid. Used a #0 or #1 trap and put them on rafters and beams with long chains so thy would hang in the air once caught. A 110 Connibear would work great. Sounds like Jagermeister has found a new calling in life!

I had a rat problem a few years ago . I finally found out that they were climbing the chimney and had chewed threw a knot hole next to the chimney . I kept the doors closed to the basement which was good . And the lights and the stereo going 24-7 , and would go hunting . I ended up getting 22 rats . 9 in traps the others ? CCI has great ammo shot for a 22 and work well with a short barrel.
    By the way rats don't eat processed cheese.

Bacon for bait has always worked for me.

As others have said, peanut butter is a decent bait. I used to crunch up some ritz crackers and mix with the peanut butter. One important thing is the location of the trap. If you can find their pathways that is where to put the traps. They often won't go out of their way just to get to the bait so the trap needs to be where they are going on their own. If you are using the large Victor traps, be sure to secure them to something. I have had the traps disappear with rats in them if they get caught by a leg, also had one that had been caught right over his shoulders and still managed to make it quite a ways dragging the trap before I found it. The last place we lived was out near Bridal Falls and unfortunately the people next door were severe hoarders. The rats overran their house and then made their way to mine. Very important to have your home and crawlspace etc. very well sealed up as they will find any small crack or opening where they find airflow or warm air and chew their way in. Once they find a way in they will keep coming back to that spot so it is important to find those spots and eliminate them. Use sheet metal or something similar where you can as they will chew through wood with great ease. I was told once that steel wool stuffed into small openings with spray foam insulation then sprayed into the wool would keep them out as they didn't like the steel wool. This did work sometimes, other times they would manage to get it all pulled out as well. It can be a real battle trying to get a handle on these little critters. They reproduce at incredible rates with large litters starting at a very young age.

Last year we discovered rat crap in the furnace room so we put out all kinds of traps, electric, snap, you name it. Zero success. Cheese, peanut butter, nothing worked. Filled in or covered every possible hole we could find. Cat sleeps in the furnace room, she did bugger all.
    Dogs nailed one on the front porch.
    Went into the crawl space, set out poison, didn't find any bodies but they haven't been back in almost a year, fingers crossed.
    Last month go to the local Oil Change Shop, kid lifts the hood and says "Sir, you have a nest under here." Get out of the truck, take a look and the guy starts hollering "Look, it's a rat - there it is.", sure enough little bugger is looking at us. Kid starts hollering, pokes at it and it takes off into the pit below the truck. Shop owner is screaming at the kid "I don't want the effing thing down here."
    We dug around under the hood, only damage was a bit of gnawing on a cloth wrap on the battery.
    Owner comes up top, says he just got rid of rats in his house, he'll get the one down below. I asked him if I got a discount on the oil change because it was my rat he was keeping. Get this stare then he breaks out laughing.

Peanut butter mixed with dark chocolate ... hardens, rats apply more pressure to eat it springs trap.. works for me on the farm....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    My cats have killed at least 40 of them.
    Regular sized tabby cats
    ive got a small cat but she loves to kill vermine...She eats them so I have asked my neighbours to not use poison...mostly she will only leave the stomach, some or all of the tail, and usually a foot or 2...If disturbed she generally will leave it and not come back...I have a pic of a dead rat 17 inches nose to tail that she started eating but didn't finish...

Arrow Re: Hunting Rats?

This is the best bait we ever used:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...0242p.html#srp

Neighbor has issues in his stand alone garage (never used). They spill to our place in the fall. I kill a handful as they do (six traps running 24/7/365). Then they disappear until the next fall. Might get one or two for the balance of the year besides that.

The bait I noted above outperformed peanut butter, bacon, hotdogs, fish and cheese run right alongside it in another trap. Every single time.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Anyone ever use the electronic gizmos that hook up to your car battery to "repel" rodents with "sonic" waves and such?
    Some folks swear by them.
    A marmot got into the guy across the street's engine compartment and did a lot of damage.

as above we had success with mice and rats with peanut butter , one rat was a bit big for the electronic trap but it worked still. (in Kamloops too)
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the the most intelligent , it is the one most adaptable to change"