Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Carry Question

Question Rifle Carry Question

How does everyone carry their rifle while rucking?

I use a AGC bino harness and I found, recently while out rabbit hunting, that I dislike having to have my rifle strapped to the side of my bag. It was hard to get on and off, I found I had had to take the bag completely off to get my rifle into my hands.

What is everyone using? I am planning on buying a new (to me) hunting bag, either EMG or Kifaru. Are guys just running a quality gun sling? Are you using the gun bearer (does a bino harness get in the way)? Or are you simply using the compression straps on the side of you bag to keep it fixed to your pack?

Thanks everyone!
    J

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rifle Carry Question

thanks for bringing this up Jamesonm,

I had been using an external frame pack for the past 8 years and removed the top cross bar and just slipped my sling over the frame. Could run my arm through the sling, it worked perfect.

I had tried a gun bearer but hated how the rifle fed up under my arm.

But I just bought a new pack and was looking at one of these

https://www.rokslide.com/creative-ou...-sling-review/

not much to it and it sure wouldn't be hard to make your own
    Last edited by Ron.C; 02-08-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Stone Glacier rifle sling on my Exo. You can run it in rear or forward carry. Similar to the Gun Bearer
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

When I was sheep hunting and out hiking for the day I just wrapped my puffy jacket around it and put it in my pack barrel up, and cinch the bag around it, not the quickest for access but worked well.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

That looks like it would work well !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    thanks for bringing this up Jamesonm,

I had been using an external frame pack for the past 8 years and removed the top cross bar and just slipped my sling over the frame. Could run my arm through the sling, it worked perfect.

I had tried a gun bearer but hated how the rifle fed up under my arm.

But I just bought a new pack and was looking at one of these

https://www.rokslide.com/creative-ou...-sling-review/

not much to it and it sure wouldn't be hard to make your own
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I got really cheap and decided to make my own. Used basically the gun bearer and slik design and combined them and used some strap material. Have a lower saddle for the butt end of the stock to sit in and a quick release magnetic type buckle for the top release.

I found that carrying in the front was more comfortable and quicker to get at. It seems the shoulder carry method left too much sway in the rifle when used with the empty pack on a day hunt type scenario. Can quickly transfer the system to belt mount when going with no pack, small pack and it makes things nicer to transfer the weight to the hip instead of the shoulder.

i run a stone glacier back pack and use their rifle sling. if I'm hiking in I usually put the butt of the stock into the big pockets on the bag on the side and compression strap it in.
    all depends though, going through thick stuff i usually have gun in hand or just in the sling. open terrain its usually strapped to my backpack.

I run the stone glacier quick release weapon carrier when I strap the firearm to the side of my pack and I run the Kifaru gun Bearer upper when I wanted in front of me for quick access

I like the kifaru gun bearer. They some to be a love em or hate em system but I have grown to really like it. It takes a bit of getting used to but for me its a great system. I really miss the built in scabbard my eberlestock dragonfly had. I have tried grafting an eberlestock scabbard onto both kuiu and exo packs without any luck.

I use the stone glacier quick release pretty much all the time now.....super quick to get the rifle into action, never had any incidents of it coming loose etc. if its not in the quick release carrier, its in my hands....never even run a sling at all anymore...even pulled off the sling studs and ran a couple set screws in flush. This is for a couple hour morning hunt or a full day jaunt...same either way.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson