Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ATV activity near critical Fraser River fish habitat alarms conservationists

Re: ATV activity near critical Fraser River fish habitat alarms conservationists

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I just watched it. I am not familiar with that area and yes, education and signage is always helpful.

But I think you would have to be pretty naive to or outright assume you aren't doing some sort of damage running trucks through these channels on the Fraser. Come on, all rivers in BC are fish habitat and there have been no shortage of news articles recently about trouble with the Fraser runs.

If these are spawning beds as the one fellow stated, shouldn't be to hard for the authorities to investigate and take follow on action and hopefully prosecute accordingly.
    Spot ON Ron ! RJ

Re: ATV activity near critical Fraser River fish habitat alarms conservationists

Something should be done. It doesn't have to be confrontational. It can be successful if done in an informative matter. I agree with Ron, after a certain age, a person would need to be something other than naïve to think they are not damaging important habitat by driving through.

Regarding dredging... I'm not entirely sure what might go on there on the Fraser, but in my experience inland, when we have slowed down the flow of many water ways with dams, dredging (done properly) is actually very healthy for the stream bed, providing a similar function to a spring runoff which moves the river bed along and cleans the silt and muck off the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    yes its a small issue in the big picture
    but thats what media is about these days, myopic like most of the viewers
    That makes sense..tackle a smaller inconsequential issue to signal that action is being taken...like take away legal gun owners guns cause its too big to tackle gun crime...reduce moose hunting harvests for hunters because there is no appetite to police or even account for first nations harvests...build a homeless housing complex rather than tackling the real problem addiction and mental health.. the list goes on...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

They put educational sign's up and with in a week 3 of the 5 signs were destroyed bent burnt etc ,was in the chilliwack progress yesterday.The few will ruin it for all again.