Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATV activity near critical Fraser River fish habitat alarms conservationists

Re: ATV activity near critical Fraser River fish habitat alarms conservationists

Why is it only a problem when Tom, Dick and Harry drive their trucks on the redds?
    When they dredge the Fraser for gravel and destroy habitat on scale 1000 times greater than that, that's just business then?
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Re: ATV activity near critical Fraser River fish habitat alarms conservationists

Yes that’s a concern but in all honesty I don’t know the details . It may be where they take it from ?
    Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Why is it only a problem when Tom, Dick and Harry drive their trucks on the redds?
    When they dredge the Fraser for gravel and destroy habitat on scale 1000 times greater than that, that's just business then?
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but is not the dredging operation done by FN companies with the blessing of DFO? It's a political crap show and should never have been allowed.
    That does not make it right for dickheads to rip up the river with 4x4s just for the hell of it.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Quote Originally Posted by goatdancer View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but is not the dredging operation done by FN companies with the blessing of DFO? It's a political crap show and should never have been allowed.
    That does not make it right for dickheads to rip up the river with 4x4s just for the hell of it.

There has been dredging going on in the Fraser for a while and also in the Chilliwack river.
    Not just by FN, but by non-FN too.
    I'm not condoning what these guys are doing, but it's a little hypocritical of media and governments to blame private citizens when they have whole operations destroying the environment with their blessings.
    Unfortunately right now salmon a hatching, pinks and chum starting in late january and they are vulnerable.
    No self-respecting BC-er who knows the first thing about salmon, would do this.
    1. Human over population

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Yes that’s a concern but in all honesty I don’t know the details . It may be where they take it from ?
    Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in !
    Arctic Lake
    There are many factors, when they do it, how they do it, where they do it and how they leave the environment after they're done.
    There have been many campaigns against these operations.
    Salmon are resilient, but they can't fight urbanization.
    Fraser river is lucky to have salmon at all.
    Lower Mainland had salmon runs that were amazing, but were all destroyed by damms and urbanization.
    Now, almost every river in LML is dammed pretty much and they are almost all supplemented by hatcheries.
    1. Human over population

[QUOTE=adriaticum;2231827]There has been dredging going on in the Fraser for a while and also in the Chilliwack river.
    Not just by FN, but by non-FN too.

Thank you for the clarification. Like you said, money talks.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Is this really causing anymore impact than a big rain storm when levels come up? Why should I care about one bars worth of fish with all the nets on the fraser every year and recreational fishing opportunities being taken away...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Of course the media wont touch the FN gravel extraction being done upriver on a epic scale every year. The area being dredged is near some of the most important sturgeon spawning areas.

Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post
    Of course the media wont touch the FN gravel extraction being done upriver on a epic scale every year. The area being dredged is near some of the most important sturgeon spawning areas.
    Or Poly Mine

yes its a small issue in the big picture
    but thats what media is about these days, myopic like most of the viewers
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole