Belts are for holding your pants up!

Re: Quads

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    OLD Men drive ride Hondas because there Slow ! lol RJ
    Pfft. I’m not old or slow.
    Pretend hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Could you briefly spell out the pros and cons of each ?
    Arctic Lake
    The IRS bikes go places the straight axle bikes wont,,proven this many times,,they have double the ground clearance,,some will say the straight axle is stronger,,its not,,my buddy has a straight axle Honda,,watched him strip the splines off the rear axle,,pulled it home with a 700 Grizzly IRS. The best bike for the money IMHO is the Yamaha Kodiak 450 IRS, with power steering,,great fuel mileage almost the same power as my 700 and has all the same features

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    The IRS bikes go places the straight axle bikes wont,,proven this many times,,they have double the ground clearance,,some will say the straight axle is stronger,,its not,,my buddy has a straight axle Honda,,watched him strip the splines off the rear axle,,pulled it home with a 700 Grizzly IRS. The best bike for the money IMHO is the Yamaha Kodiak 450 IRS, with power steering,,great fuel mileage almost the same power as my 700 and has all the same features
    Im a Yamaha guy all the way but if you ever have to do any side hilling ,the solid axle is way more stable.
    Buy the machine that suits your needs. They all have their advantages. For me the locking diffs independent front and rear suspension is nice, a pull start is also something to consider. I killed my battery one time trying to winch my upside down machine out of a hole. Happy to have had a pull start. I still own a Polaris sxs trail version only because of the size but its a pos compared to the grizzly.
    Hunting the promised land

I have a Can-am Outlander Max 650, 2 up ,that I have been very pleased with. Power steering and very comfortable to ride. Hauls the wife and I, along with our 75lb Lab around with no effort.

Thank you for the explanation !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    Pfft. I’m not old or slow.
    Yea ! You are - you just don't relize it yet ! lol RJ

A CVT is more efficient, at least car makers think so. The belt drive is simpler than auto trans since I think both can be smoked. One can be fixed in camp. The down side with my belt drive is the higher RPM engagement level than the Honda.

You need metal racks, and power steering. The metal racks are obvious but the power steering becomes very obvious when banging against slash . On the road not so much. IRS for sure.

Tires, when I got my quad, it was the first thing guys told you to do, change them out. The ones from the factory were black and round, and that was all you could say about them. I got a set of Big Horns, they are great. But I'm not sure which cost more the quads tires or the 4x4 one ton's.