Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor question

Trolling motor question

Just ordered a Lund 1040 Jon boat and need to shop for a trolling motor. I have used a 30 lb before on a similar size boat but was wondering if its worth the extra 100$ for a 40lb? Of course if money wasnt an issue Id just get a 50 lb but dont want to spend any more than I have to. Will likely be about 500 lbs for boat, gear and two guys. is there a big different in power in the wind with the 40 and how much quicker would it kill the battery?
    Last edited by local.604; 02-07-2021 at 01:33 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Trolling motor question

Assuming you are using the same battery, at the lower speed settings you'll not notice any measurable difference in battery life. If your running around at the higher speed settings allot then you'd notice the difference in battery life difference but you will also notice the extra power you have.

I have a 14, Jon and been through the same and like the 40 as I have the extra power if I need it ( I run mine in saltwater marshes with my boat full of duck hunting gear, people, dog and for me the extra power is worth it.)
    Last edited by Ron.C; 02-07-2021 at 08:12 AM.

A 40 would be perfect for a 1040. I use a 45 on mine and it is great. Make sure you buy the Minn Kota Endura Max motor. The Endura Max has a built in maximizer. It will run up to 5 x longer on a charge than the base Endura model. The 40 lb is around $300 at Can Tire.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    A 40 would be perfect for a 1040. I use a 45 on mine and it is great. Make sure you buy the Minn Kota Endura Max motor. The Endura Max has a built in maximizer. It will run up to 5 x longer on a charge than the base Endura model. The 40 lb is around $300 at Can Tire.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but believe I met you at one of the "Fairs" at Tradex and asked you for suggestions for an electric on my 12 Ft. Harbourcraft - you gave the same suggestion to me and I followed it. Love the set up, thanks for the advice.
    Son has same on his 1040 and says the same.

I had a 30 pound on a 12 ft Princecraft Ungava. My biggest complaint was wind. So may times I would have to increase speed just trying to keep the boat going straight. Eventually I just sold it and went straight 9.9. I considered putting a drop or flip down keel at the front to the boat but thought it would just create more issues and not solve it. More thrust will make it easier to maneuver. Go big......

Thanks for the tips guys! I ended up picking up the Max 40 today. Was a bit more than I wanted to spend but theres a 20$ rebate promo so helps cover the tax at least

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but believe I met you at one of the "Fairs" at Tradex and asked you for suggestions for an electric on my 12 Ft. Harbourcraft - you gave the same suggestion to me and I followed it. Love the set up, thanks for the advice.
    Son has same on his 1040 and says the same.
    That was me. I'm a Minn Kota rep so my posts are biased but my advice is legit. Word

What is the lowest trolling speed with those 40# on a little 10 ft punt?
    My 30# pushes the 14 ft at the perfect Kokanee speed when its on the slowest speed
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

With the Endura model you have forward speeds of 1 to 5 and 3 reverse.. The Endura Max has variable speed control so you can dial it down to barely spinning or to full max and whatever you want in between. It's a great feature to get your perfect speed.

I have an Endura 30 (plus 20hp Merc) on my 1448MV. Trolls down to nothing and on 5 it moves along nicely.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.