Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Turkey Hunting survey

Wild Turkey Hunting survey

Well Spring Turkey hunting is not that far away, April 15th i believe is the opener. Has anyone heard the possibility that Alberta/Non residents may have to utilize a Hunter Host or Licenced BC Guide to hunt them this year. I had plans on going again this year but not sure if this will be in effect or just a survey for now....
    Are BC regs printed yet ?

https://bcwf.bc.ca/.wild-turkey-survey/.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wild Turkey Hunting survey

Yes, BC regs are printed for 2021. No turkey tag required

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    Yes, BC regs are printed for 2021. No turkey tag required
    This is correct, but don’t forget,the CAN do new regs at any time. You should check the online regs for updates before you come to take one of our feathered friends. Are there turkeys in Alberta? I’ve never thought to look.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Arrow Re: Wild Turkey Hunting survey

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    ... Are there turkeys in Alberta? I’ve never thought to look.
    Cypress Hills has (or had) quite a few.
    Shooting them however is "discouraged" in the Park.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I didn't understand this when it was proposed and I still don't. Every bit of science I can find says populations are expanding and rising. There is no population concerns. This is 100% managing (dividing) hunters.

If a tag is really necessary then make it $5 for residents and $10 for non residents. Not a big game animal/host/guide scenario. It wouldn't be hard since it all online now anyways.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Hey Springer - what can BC residents hunt in AB without a host?

If they institute a tag for turkeys it’s a cash grab and enforcement tool, not a conservation concern as far as I can tell. I spend about a week turkey hunting every spring and have NEVER run into a CO. Very few hunters as well. Most guys can’t be bothered, and I think a large portion of those who do quickly learn it’s far more challenging than they anticipated and head home with tail between their legs.
    I know a biologist who applied to the government for funding to study the turkeys here and was turned down simply because they’re considered a non native invasive species.
    With the season still 2 months out there is still time for regulation changes to be released, Im not sure if the tag proposals ever got any traction.

edited to add - I have certainly found anecdotally that numbers are down in the east Kootenays, but have no data to support that. I’d be interested to see some actual science on the population.
    Last edited by Krico; 02-06-2021 at 01:20 PM.
    Twist and pull.

My Point is not about a tag. But since were talking about a Tag, I really think there should be a tag you notch or attach. The way it sits now any hunter could kill a Turkey, Go home eat it and go shoot another one , the evidence would be gone that you already shot one.
    My point was that Non residents may in the future have to have a Host or Licenced guide.

Krico we get a lot of BC hunters in Alberta Hunting Pheasant without a Host. Our regs do not require Non residents to have a host for Bird game and Migratory Birds.

In Alberta to Hunt Turkey you need about 12 yrs minimum to Hunt for 1 Turkey starting May 1st. We have a small Huntable area in the Porcupine Hills south down into the crowsnest pass / Pincher creek area. Also we can share that coveted tag on a partner licence with a Youth or senior for another $12. The drawn tag itself costs $29.95.

My apologies. I didn't mean to derail this into a discussion about tags. Though I do support tags for Turkey, this line in the BCWF survey intro just reinforces that to me this has zero to do with conservation:

This will alleviate the conflict that is currently escalating between residents and non-residents during the spring GOS season.

It is simply about someone in the area getting upset cause he believes his area is too crowded. I have friends across the USA, but mostly centralized in Tennessee and Arkansas. In both those places turkey hunting is insanely competitive and crowded. Yet in both those places I can go and buy my non resident license and tags and go hunt turkey alone. No host needed. The technology exists, even the small corner of BC where turkeys are hunted is huge, and their population is expanding. Making every Turkey hunter buy a tag makes sense, making a host or guide required doesn't. Just further reinforces BCs irresponsible practices and divides hunters.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Very Fair response Mulehahn.
    The Alberta Season is also 2 weeks later than yours, I think we lose part of the best time for calling Turkeys , but at least we get to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Very Fair response Mulehahn.
    The Alberta Season is also 2 weeks later than yours, I think we lose part of the best time for calling Turkeys , but at least we get to go.
    We get to go once, maybe twice in our lifetime.....