Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flathead River mule deer hunting

Flathead River mule deer hunting

An area of the province I have not hunted is the Flathead River in Region 4-1.I am interested in hunting the high country for mule deer.
    Anyone have experience in this area?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Flathead River mule deer hunting

Keep an eye out for Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by sames14 View Post
    Ha! Keep two eyes open, nose in the wind, and defender at the ready!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by sames14 View Post
    This statement is true for a lot of the province now as grizzlies are being seen in a lot more places than before.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

That's a big area down there, very diverse. I enjoy tramping the Flathead for cuthroats in the summer, but only because of the beauty of my spots, the fishing is not that good. My shortened Ithaca is always strapped to my back in that country. Don't drive without a bush radio in your truck. Last elk trip down there was 3 years ago and heard wolves every night. One outfitter who does well (Eider) was burned out during the last big fires in the Akamina. Not sure if he has rebuilt yet. If you are planning a late fall hunt be aware of getting trapped on the wrong side of Harvey Pass from snow. It has happened to people before if Canfor doesnt need the road open.

Goat hunted down there a few times. Seen some nice mule deer up high but never connected.

I worked for the Outfitter in that area as a Guide and one thing that I will promise you is that you will see Grizzlies, there are Mule deer there and they are some what undisturbed. If you are willing to put on your pack and hike into the backend of some of the basins you will see deer and some gorgeous country, not much for elk left there but really good for goat if you get a draw. Like anything Give it a whirl and see what happens as it is never a bad day when you are hunting.

I am thinking of backpacking in early season to try for a nice muley in velvet.I had an opprotunity to shoot a buck in velvet a number of years ago.I passed it up looking for a bigger one.They look pretty big when in velvet and when I think back about that buck he was a pretty good one.
    As for the bears,I have had a lot of experience with bears.Tagging when I was young,guiding hunters and killing plenty myself.Problem bears and hunting.If there is one thing I have learned about bears.They are unpredictable and to be respected.

Spent some time down there for work and also hunting. Elk isn’t good anymore. Don’t know about muley hunting as I’m mostly into sheep and elk. Same as what others have said, lot of Grizzly and I have to say they seem like they’re particularly aggressive. Not trying to be an alarmist, I’ve been all over the province and this area just seems like the griz are less fearful.

Have taken a couple nice bucks down there. Lost a raghorn bull to a G-bear years ago. There was a hush-hush program to re-locate badass G-bears from Banff and Jasper in the lower Canadian Flathead valley. The Americans liked this as Glacier was close, and they wanted to get more G-bears on their side of the border. Had talked to the American biologist a few times as he worked in Canada. Learned a few things from him - especially where he was seeing sheep.
    Be careful down there. Many of those G-bears have very bad, dangerous attitudes toward mankind . . . . all stuff they learned up in our parks.