Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Squamish

Moving to Squamish

Hi all,

I am relocating to Squamish in March for my wifes job, currently living central Vancouver Island so looking forward to exploring some new areas (hopefully without as many gates!!) Would love to get the lay of the land from some locals about areas to avoid etc. Not looking for specific spots as thats all part of the fun!! Interested in hunting bears, deer, predators, small game - everything really!! Is it worth applying to join the Squamish valley rod and gun club, I am keen to network and meet some other like minded folk!!

Thanks for reading and I look forward with connecting with a few guys!!

Thanks

Dave

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moving to Squamish

When you're looking for a house . . . . there's quite a few areas in town that are in shade most of the day, and all day in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    When you're looking for a house . . . . there's quite a few areas in town that are in shade most of the day, and all day in winter.
    Valleycliff. Aside from Plateau Drive to be more specific.

To be perfectly honest, there isn’t a ton of good hunting right around Squamish itself. Any of the areas close by are overrun with city folk. We saw 10+ trucks on one supposedly quieter and very short FSR this fall. You will need to get further away. As far as meeting hunters goes, there are a few guys on here from Squamish, and you might be better off finding them on here than at the Rod and Gun club. Seems to be a lot of target shooters there and not many hunters every time I went. Maybe some of the current locals will chime in here. I sold my house there and fled 10 years ago, but still hunt with some of my buddies from there every year.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Start looking for housing now. It has gone from crazy to absolutely insane in the last 2 months. There are a couple of new buildings that have just gained occupancy permits, so a few more places on the market to rent, but they wont last.

The Rod and Gun club is a good place to shoot. Lots of 'hunters" 2 days before season starts, but there's often hunters there throughout the year.

As mentioned above, not a ton of hunting close by, but if your willing to drive a little further afield, then options start to open up.

Welcome!

Squamish is, by far, the best place I've ever lived. Most residents are happy to be here. As a result, the real estate market is bonkers and places that used to be really quiet are getting busy.

There is a lot of territory around here to explore and I can only think of a couple gates. Definitely get a membership at the range. I frequently have the range to myself but I've met a few really good guys there.

Send a PM closer to your arrival and I'll definitely help give you the lay of the land.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Welcome. It is beautiful here but getting real busy. Great for bears, cats and wolves in the Squamish Valley if you can get away from the city folks.
    The Squamish valley is insane now and cars everywhere, people park right on the main FSR and camp everywhere. Great places to fish up here, again can be busy. The Rod and Gun club, yes please join! It is mostly target shooters for sure but there are some hunters and mostly great people. You into archery? I haven't seen anyone else on the archery range since August, sometimes I love it by myself but some shooting buddies would be cool also. You need to have a sponsor to join the range, new members can join in April. Hit me up when you get here and I'll help you join the range. There is lots to do here, for sure. Best area in town is north of Walmart, Highlands and Brackendale. I have trails to and along the river outside my house. Send me a DM when you want, can fill you in anytime.

Thank you all for the replies and local info, hopefully we have a place to stay sorted now starting 15th of March. I will get my application ready to join the rod and gun club when we arrive, from what I have seen its pretty competetive to join?

Ill be sure to connect with everyone when I arrive in town, thanks for reaching out!!

I dont archery hunt yet, however with this move I am going to have a lot more free time so hoping to get a bow and start the learing process!!

Yes, the gun club is super competitive to get in, but super chill once you're a member. You'll need proof you're a Squamish resident, and if you get it in early, it's generally no problem to get in. I don't know if Covid will limit new applicants. It's probably worth it to reach out to them. Explain your situation, and the Directors, will let you know the best path forward. If you don't have someone who knows you at the Club, just explain that to them and they just have a 2 min chat with you to ensure you're a decent human being, not a robot.

I'll tell you an area to avoid.
    Squamish.
    It has become a zoo, but only for those of us who have something to compare.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

If you can get a good 4x4. Squamish is great trust me. Once you can get to the back country. It’s really cool. You will see game. I see a few chickens. Not a lot. But they are there. You can hear the duskies hooting in the spring. Once you hit some rocks you can kiss the bmw and Evos good bye haha bears are over populated !! and there is a good population. Of the a hole bears. (Griz). Don’t listen to what everyone is saying. It’s a lot of fun !!!! And if you know where to go you won’t see many people. there is places that targets are set up to 500 yards so if you don’t want to join the rod and gun. To shoot long distance They are a nice drive to the shooting spots also. I usually pass a few elk and deer.