Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's in your pack? Critique Mine!

Re: What's in your pack? Critique Mine!

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    any Mio or something for flavoring your water?
    X100. Drinking clean water from a stream is not to bad, but if you are relying on melting snow for your water, flavouring goes a long way.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    This is a really good one....and I like “Take care of the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves” as well....good food for thought.
    He ask for a critique if his gear in his pack. Rather than being an antagonist to my post, you should focus on his question. My comment for self analysis of our hunting gear that we pack around is true and helps eliminate redundant items, and help us focus on the important gear. The process is never-ending and a continuously evolving process. As gear improves or our hunting style changes what we carry evolves.

Don’t need bears spray in the winter. Bears are sleeping
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Am I missing something here? Didn’t look like anything was antagonistic, just looks like some good constructive ideas so far.

Curious if that’s the bag you always run? Not trying to assume anything, but just based on some of the other high-end gear you have, I would think there would be a higher emphasis placed on meat-packing ability? Unless of course this is for a small game only trip.

Quote Originally Posted by WetLeopard View Post
    Am I missing something here? Didn’t look like anything was antagonistic, just looks like some good constructive ideas so far.

Curious if that’s the bag you always run? Not trying to assume anything, but just based on some of the other high-end gear you have, I would think there would be a higher emphasis placed on meat-packing ability? Unless of course this is for a small game only trip.
    That's the only bag I have at the moment. It's been a process of acquiring gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesonm View Post
    I don't usually use gloves, im going to be geting bloody.
    I didn't think gloves were necessary either, until I cut my knuckle to the bone before shooting my moose this year. Had some rubber gloves with me and I am damn glad I had a way to bandage and protect my injury while gutting and quartering. Still took over a month to heal.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

I think the previous suggestion of a backup headlamp is good. I’d also add some lighters (I usually have a couple in ziplocks stuffed in my pack and a pocket) and fire starter in case you wind up in a bad situation e.g. hands get so cold you can’t prep tinder and strike your flint.

Great and cheap fire starter is cotton balls smeared with petroleum jelly. They burn forever! You can pack about ten cotton balls into a film canister.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I think the previous suggestion of a backup headlamp is good. I’d also add some lighters (I usually have a couple in ziplocks stuffed in my pack and a pocket) and fire starter in case you wind up in a bad situation e.g. hands get so cold you can’t prep tinder and strike your flint.
    Very good suggestion, I missed that on the original review of his post...I keep in my pack not only several lighters and a starter, but strike anywhere matches....

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    Great and cheap fire starter is cotton balls smeared with petroleum jelly. They burn forever! You can pack about ten cotton balls into a film canister.
    Huh, that seems like a good idea. I'm going to try that.