Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dease Lake Fly In Hunt Late Aug Weather

Dease Lake Fly In Hunt Late Aug Weather

Hi All,

for those of you who have done fly ins out of Dease or hunted that country, what is the weather/temps usually like last week end August, First week of Sept?

Like to know if it's generally cool enough to keep meat hanging for a week.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dease Lake Fly In Hunt Late Aug Weather

Ron it varies so much..however never had any go bad/sour..
    Good luck
    Any info I can add? Pm me
    Steven

We’ve hung for a week in hear and didn’t loose any meat. Now we take 5 gallon pails with lids, hang the meat get it seared up abit if you can and then bucket and sink in the lake if it’s to hot for a long period. Seems to work good.

Can have hypothermia And a sun burnt in the same day

Ron
    You can probably get a pretty good idea talking with the people flying up there. Not that asking the question here is a bad idea

In 4 trips at the end of August, I went from +24 to -8. I had one caribou hang for 8 days without any worries. Another went for 3 days and we were hauling snow down from higher ground in a bit of a panic (it worked). Elevation plays a role for sure but isn't a guarantee. The snow hauling caribou was ~600 feet higher than the other.

Last trip we got my caribou on Sunday and had it hanging in game bags in the shade in a good cross wind until we flew out Friday. I think one of the most important parts is allowing the meat to properly cool before you bag it up to hang it. Temps rose to +8 at a max during the day but with the rain we had the entire time wasn’t worried about the meat one bit.

Take a Sat. phone and get an early pick up. They should be able to work you into a back flight. Hell, if you are real lucky they might even refund you one leg of the flight!

One of the things that really stands out for me is the rain. Ensure you have really decent rain gear. When your living out of a tiny tent as your refuge from the elements you want to be able to hang out in there with dry clothes still.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

We would of preferred to start our hunt mid Sept, but our first choice lake is booked then, but available the 2 weeks prior.

We have a decent second choice for mid Sept. We just need to decide if we would rather hunt our first choice 10 days sooner or our second choice a little later.

In regards to camp and personal gear, we have it nailed down pretty good as we've done several backpack hunts. We know what to bring to stay comfortable with minimal gear.

By the sounds of things, we can probably go ahead and book our hunt