Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Elk Hunt 2021

Re: First Elk Hunt 2021

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Keep the Reid’s in your truck and practice on the way to work everyday until you get muscle memory
    There’s definitely a technique I need to learn! I’m sounding more like a jackrabbit distress right now. Pretty sure the cat is going insane....and the neighbours think I am....
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Get a bugle tube you use with diaphragm calls. Best route for bugling.

although my friend does well with power bugle.

I like Reid’s and bugle tube myself..
    Me too....it's fun once you get proficient at it....can't comment on the are you mentioned OP as I've never hunted that particular area....

I switched to peak meals as well and will never go back to mtn house or backpackers pantry. As for the dehydrator start with chilli and or spaghetti it works good and gives you an idea of what works. Also do some testing at home to make sure you know how much water to add to each specific meal you make and what the hydration times will be. The heavier ziploc freezer bags will handle boiling water and if you seal it and tuck it in your sleeping bag it stays hot while it’s rehydrating . I’d bring one bigger bag as a second layer just in case you have a leak. Or you can wash out and use a bag from one of your store bought meals as an insulator/leak barrier.

Lots of bears where we went in the Kootneays. I did a 9 day backpack trip there a couple years ago for sheep and we saw 24 grizzlies, only 2 close enough to worry about. Definitely saw elk and goats as well as wolves a handful of deer and a wolverine. Beautiful area, but it’s massive and can be tough. Be prepared to cover a lot of ground to find game...be mobile, be prepared and enjoy the work!

While elk hunting pretty much anywhere in BC you soon learn where there are elk there are g-bears too.
    And more recently that can include not just elk but any ungulate.

I’m getting the impression that I should buy a PAC alarm.

I’m buying a PAC alarm.

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

The backpackingchef.com may be worth a look for dehydrated meal ideas
    Cheers
    Duck tape can fix everything but stupid

Keep the Reid’s in your truck and practice on the way to work everyday until you get muscle memory
    Definitely a good idea. I just picked up some Elk and Turkey diaphragm calls and I've been driving the kids nuts on the car with them lol. But the drive in to work is a fantastic time to practice 👍

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    hang around the river bottom lotsa spike and elk in the bottom bring a fishing rod lots of fishing to be had on the river if your looking for a spike if not try any road closure up the bull and be prepared to visit with your neighbours from vancouver as they will all be there too good luck bring a bike for road closures and a carriage to pack out game might be hot the way the global warming is going on and be prepared for the bears are they are numerous and educated especially in the elk valley your gun shot is a dinner bell all the best to you and good luck
    Great info...thank you...I really appreciate the thought about the fishing rod...I was wondering about this, but thinking we’ll be up high? Maybe a little of both if we can cover the ground. This brings up a good question....I see that bulls are bow only, and rifle season is 6 point. We are both bow hunters, but recognize the difficulty in the hunt.....any thoughts as far as more opportunity in the bow only season, or get in there for a 6 point and have the range to work with in rifle season?

Depends on your calling ability and skill in working an elk while playing the wind more than anything. If you are an accomplished bowhunter then the bow season and bugling bulls are a LOT of fun. I used to love that first 9 days when I lived around Cranbrook.
    Depends on what you are looking to get out of the experience mostly. Archery bulls in the Kootenays is a pretty fulfilling experience.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Depends on your calling ability and skill in working an elk while playing the wind more than anything. If you are an accomplished bowhunter then the bow season and bugling bulls are a LOT of fun. I used to love that first 9 days when I lived around Cranbrook.
    Depends on what you are looking to get out of the experience mostly. Archery bulls in the Kootenays is a pretty fulfilling experience.
    Well....my calling ability is what it will be once I get out there after having practiced while watching the pros at YouTube university. I think the experience will be what it is...meaning it’ll be great no matter what. I’m patient with my bow, and can shoot it well enough....just not sure where my odds are best....finding a 6 point, or creeping in during any bull....and I’m more focused on success for sure.