Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Elk Hunt 2021

First Elk Hunt 2021

Going on an elk hunt...first time. It’s me and my son going (his current dream hunt), and we’re spiking it in the Kootenays.

What’s everyone’s go-to for dried meals these days? Mt. House is a fave for us both, but at $16 a bag....I think we can do better, and really, I tend to get tired of them after a couple of days. Been looking up recipes on the inter webs....I have a couple of dehydrators, smoker, vacuum sealer so am thinking about putting some together. I’m thinking that we could cook any meat products the night before, and vacuum seal them, and add them to any dehydrated stuff we make. Should last for 5 - 7 days vacuum sealed? Thinking Ramen, oatmeal, dried potatoes/eggs etc as well....any other suggestions? I’ve spiked out, but quite heavily in the past...lightening up now since I’m not getting any younger. What’re folks usual weight on packs in relation to body weight?

Anyone want to give any thoughts on areas and tactics, I’d love to hear it....like I said...first time for Elk, and also have not been to the Kootenays much at all...just provincial sites in the RV and rode through on bikes. Bought some diaphragm calls and will get a tube....but not sure if there’s a huge difference in tubes and diaphragms? We expect to put boots to the ground....a lot....so not sure of the typical terrain there...rocky? Steep? Thick? All of the above is what I expect (and we will scout).

Thoughts on things to bring? I have pretty much all the gear I think I need, but you never know what others have experienced in that area....we’re thinking near Elkford, maybe Fernie area but we are going to head there for a couple of scouting trips....probably at least once together in the trailer, but also a couple of individual trips on the ole KLR to take the gear we’re going to use to be sure it’s sufficient. We’ll scout through the summer, but I think we’ll be there early/mid September...unless someone says that’s the worst time....

Lots of questions....hopefully someone has some thoughts, and I appreciate them all! Thanks for any input!
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Elk Hunt 2021

The Flathead River area was the last place I hunted for elk near Fernie, was gorgeous, lots of bears but what we did was get up high and glass, seen the elk but nothing legal. I can't comment on spike hunting as I've never done that but I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

well i cant really help you out on hunting elk in that area because I've never hunted there but food wise, mountain house sucks. buy PEAK its a dollar more than mountain house and i guarantee you its 100x tastier. making your own oatmeal for breakfast is way better than mountain house dehydrated bacon and eggs.
    There should be lots of recipes on the internet for dehydrated backpacking meals just find some that peak your interest and test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    The Flathead River area was the last place I hunted for elk near Fernie, was gorgeous, lots of bears but what we did was get up high and glass, seen the elk but nothing legal. I can't comment on spike hunting as I've never done that but I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves!
    Awesome, thanks! Will google earth the area at the very least....and we should be able to get high and glass for sure!

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    well i cant really help you out on hunting elk in that area because I've never hunted there but food wise, mountain house sucks. buy PEAK its a dollar more than mountain house and i guarantee you its 100x tastier. making your own oatmeal for breakfast is way better than mountain house dehydrated bacon and eggs.
    There should be lots of recipes on the internet for dehydrated backpacking meals just find some that peak your interest and test it out.
    I think I saw that one of our sponsors is selling PEAK and checked it....it’s certainly not all about money....ya wanna play, ya gotta pay, but at 16 -17 bucks a bag for a couple guys 5 - 7 days we’re getting into quite a bit for meals. I know that we will be getting at least a few of them, so will for sure try the PEAK.....Backpackers Pantry sucked balls.

you just strictly looking for elk, no interest in goats or deer.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    you just strictly looking for elk, no interest in goats or deer.
    Good point....I’m sure we’ll be packing tags and make decisions on the fly....our main goal is elk for sure. That said....if I stumble across a giant 4 point and I can take it....it’s coming home with me. Goat too....I just haven’t yet put any research into that....not even sure the season/rules there yet, but you can bet I’ll be looking at it!

Don't even bother buying anything BUT Peak Refuel. That stuff is real food, and good portion sizes. I personally like most Mtn House flavours and have eaten them for years in the mountains, but Peak blows that stuff right out of the water.

Get a bugle tube you use with diaphragm calls. Best route for bugling.

although my friend does well with power bugle.

I like Reid’s and bugle tube myself..

Keep the Reid’s in your truck and practice on the way to work everyday until you get muscle memory