Thread: 1st sheep hunt

1st sheep hunt

Hi guys

I'm planning on putting in for a sheep draw this year.

Any advice for a fairly new hunter (I've spent some time shooting elk and moose in AB and deer on Van Isl). I'm pretty much self taught from reading, but haven't applied it too much in the field by myself (often with a more senior experienced hunter). I'm in good shape and will be training regularly to ensure I am up for the physical challenge. I'm really keen on just getting out there and learning in the field. I've been spending a lot of time at my local range (VFGPA) but the range only goes to 250 yards and I believe I need to be able to shoot out to about 450.

Where are some areas to check out? Thompson OK and Kootenays? Is it necessary to enter a LEH, or can sheep be harvested via license in some areas? I'll scan over the regs a bit more too, just looking for a bit of direction where I can then do some further research.

Thanks everyone -- I look forward to your feedback and recommendations!

J
    Last edited by Jamesonm; 02-05-2021 at 05:21 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 1st sheep hunt

Getting a draw for sheep is like winning lotto max . But hey someone has to win. Good luck on your endeavour. Probably best luck would be stone sheep if you just want to purchase a tag and go try you luck .

Super thanks for the helpful info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail1 View Post
    Getting a draw for sheep is like winning lotto max . But hey someone has to win. Good luck on your endeavour. Probably best luck would be stone sheep if you just want to purchase a tag and go try you luck .

Have a look at the regs. There are plenty of areas from Region 3 to 7 where you can hunt sheep over the counter.

I would suggest searching some very valuable threads on here and narrowing down an area. Spend some time on Google earth and find a drainage or two you want to hunt. Once you have done that then ask for information about that particular zone and strategies.

Good luck!!
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Most but not all sheep hunts are backpack style. If this is your plan get out over the summer on a trip or two to test your gear and dial in the system.

Management unit 3-17, 3-31 and 3-32 have a season from sept 10 to Oct 20 for full curl rams with no draw required for full curl rams or mature full curl. Areas are close to towns (and I use that term loosely) where one can camp at the their vehicle or even stay at a motel and do day hikes. Great area for a rookie to get his feet wet glassing for rams or trying out gear. Easier area to hunt means way more guys too. Great areas if you only can only get away for a weekend.

I have been preaching the area for years, hunt it under the regular season and apply for the 50-1 odds limited entry hunts. If you get drawn you will know exactly where to go to find the easier to find 3/4 curl rams. Too many guys only start sheep hunting once they get a limited entry and then expect its going to be easy as it was tough to get a draw. If you have hunted the area a number of times before getting a draw hunt, you are almost certain to get a ram. If you get drawn for a limited entry hunt, and spend a couple weekends scouting during the summer, the chances for success are greatly reduced (see it every year here on this website.) Yet almost every time I go to the area I maybe run into one or two guys hunting or in other words I have the place to myself.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I've spent a good amount of time in 3-17 and seen a decent amount of sheep over the years, Lytton to Spences Bridge. Definitely take the time to do some scouting and finding out where they like to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Most but not all sheep hunts are backpack style. If this is your plan get out over the summer on a trip or two to test your gear and dial in the system.
    Just to add to swampthing's advice, here is a link to another thread here on HBC regarding gear for sheep hunting. It is by far the best thread I have found on this topic. There are 74 pages in this thread. Several HBC'ers have posted gear lists. You can compile your own by mix and match from their lists.
    Here is a good example
    sheep pack weight ????? - Page 2 (huntingbc.ca)
    Last edited by Brno22F; 02-05-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    Semper in excretum altum

Great thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brno22F View Post
    Just to add to swampthing's advice, here is a link to another thread here on HBC regarding gear for sheep hunting. It is by far the best thread I have found on this topic. There are 74 pages in this thread. Several HBC'ers have posted gear lists. You can compile your own by mix and match from their lists.
    Here is a good example
    sheep pack weight ????? - Page 2 (huntingbc.ca)

Great thanks for the information.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Management unit 3-17, 3-31 and 3-32 have a season from sept 10 to Oct 20 for full curl rams with no draw required for full curl rams or mature full curl. Areas are close to towns (and I use that term loosely) where one can camp at the their vehicle or even stay at a motel and do day hikes. Great area for a rookie to get his feet wet glassing for rams or trying out gear. Easier area to hunt means way more guys too. Great areas if you only can only get away for a weekend.

I have been preaching the area for years, hunt it under the regular season and apply for the 50-1 odds limited entry hunts. If you get drawn you will know exactly where to go to find the easier to find 3/4 curl rams. Too many guys only start sheep hunting once they get a limited entry and then expect its going to be easy as it was tough to get a draw. If you have hunted the area a number of times before getting a draw hunt, you are almost certain to get a ram. If you get drawn for a limited entry hunt, and spend a couple weekends scouting during the summer, the chances for success are greatly reduced (see it every year here on this website.) Yet almost every time I go to the area I maybe run into one or two guys hunting or in other words I have the place to myself.

BHB