Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complaints about Ladner swamp brewing in the Delta Optimist

Re: Complaints about Ladner swamp brewing in the Delta Optimist

I've said it elsewhere before. I've been going there for six+ years often almost every weekend (and last year twice or three times a week) and I've never had any overtly negative interaction with the general public. At the most I may have seen a dirty look but I'm not forcing someone to like what I do. In contrast, I've received more than a few well wishes or curious questions about what I am taking out which I am happy to spend a minute or two educating someone about.

One time at Boundary I had a lady overtly shield her gaze from the sight of my bringing out two Canadas on the dyke. Again, I can't force someone to like what I do; I can only ask that they allow me mine and they can have theirs. Aside from that, zero hate in the field. It doesn't mean it does not exist, only that those who are opposed to what we are doing will save it for dumb complaints like this or letter writing.

We can't run from engaging with the public if we want to preserve our tradition. If we don't speak the facts, they will distort reality for others.
    Last edited by silveragent; 02-03-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I've said it elsewhere before. I've been going there for six+ years often almost every weekend (and last year twice or three times a week) and I've never had any overtly negative interaction with the general public. At the most I may have seen a dirty look but I'm not forcing someone to like what I do. In contract, I've received more than a few well wishes or curious questions about what I am taking out which I am happy to spend a minute or two educating someone about.

One time at Boundary I had a lady overtly shield her gaze from the sight of my bringing out two Canadas on the dyke. Again, I can't force someone to like what I do; I can only ask that they allow me mine and they can have theirs. Aside from that, zero hate in the field. It doesn't mean it does not exist, only that those who are opposed to what we are doing will save it for dumb complaints like this or letter writing.

We can't run from engaging with the public if we want to preserve our tradition. If we don't speak the facts, they will distort reality for others.
    You are correct but interestingly my friends family owns (not sure if they still do) the last farm on the dyke road and the only problems we ever had when we went for a hunt was with other hunters not the anti's. I guess things have changed.

Do you mean in Ladner or Boundary? I would be interested to know what conflicts you had. Do you mean your friends' farm was messed with or your party when you went to Brunswick? I think all hunters using Brunswick would want that farm protected as it is a buffer between nimbys and the dyke.

Conflicts with other hunters .. yea that's another story. If it's not sky-busting, it's crowding. If I get a canoe or kayak this summer, it's likely I won't be seen much at Brunswick. I'll be far away from other public land hunters.

Hey folks,
    This is my first season waterfowl hunting so my perspective might be a bit different than some of you more seasoned hunters. I only got out a few times to both Brunswick and Boundary bay as I don't have any connections to private farms.
    I'll tell you, as a new hunter heading out for the first time, it's intimidating. I did my research, read everything I could, watched as much as my eyes would allow, and tread as lightly as I could into the field so as not to piss off other hunters or draw negative attention from birders/photographers. From my very limited experience, people I ran into were very friendly and more curious than anything else. With an activity like hunting so close to city folk, there's bound to be complaints by uneducated or otherwise disapproving people. Unfortunately, in the court of public opinion, especially in the lower mainland, hunters will never win.

My approach is to draw as little attention as possible and provide no ammunition for complaints. I'd rather keep a low profile than loose access to something I've just found and really enjoy.
    BTW - I can't figure out what was open at the time of this article? From what I can see everything is closed until Feb 10th. Am I missing something?
    My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Very true Ron, sometimes hunters are their worst enemy! I've had many interactions with the public and the police while waterfowling and very few have been confrontational. Try launching a punt at some of our launches in Boundary Bay and I will promise you somebody will say something. I've found that if you be respectful and explain what you're doing most people just carry on. K
    Hey Kelly remember hunting centennial beach for brant and the anti hunters with the jetto blaster blasting music. Personally I like the no call to small. I like the fact that if and when I call for something they are there not hours later. I have no problem with the police coming out when I’m Hunting to check. If I’m hunting close to residential ( my grandparents old farm) I’ve actually called the non emergency number to say we are hunting there and then I didn’t have a problem

BTW - I can't figure out what was open at the time of this article? From what I can see everything is closed until Feb 10th. Am I missing something?
    Probably the incident in question happened during the season and there was a lag in the reporting. I'm pretty sure if the police were tasked to go out there and do their due diligence they would have been overjoyed to actually have to issue a ticket if it was out of bounds.

I think as far as hunting and the general public goes we should keep in mind that those who are actively against hunting already are targeting us but that the vast majority of people are ambivalent. Keeping our head down and not bothering the general public should be our default state, but if there are those who are acting against us - such as calling the police on us, writing letters, lobbying against us, trying to get our areas shut down - to those tactics hiding is not an option.

The hunting story it said was Friday jan 22 at 1230

Agreed, I also think approaching the conversation from a sustainability/accountability angle is the most effective. It's in line with the greater public movement of understanding our food source and taking responsibility for what we harvest and consume. As hunters, we need to be smarter in our approach by countering these lobbyists with their own arguments/values.
    That said, for some it's not about reason. They simply do not like the idea of killing an animal no matter how hypocritical their argument may be.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy ducker View Post
    Hey Kelly remember hunting centennial beach for brant and the anti hunters with the jetto blaster blasting music. Personally I like the no call to small. I like the fact that if and when I call for something they are there not hours later. I have no problem with the police coming out when I’m Hunting to check. If I’m hunting close to residential ( my grandparents old farm) I’ve actually called the non emergency number to say we are hunting there and then I didn’t have a problem
    I really want to try hunting Brant.

Funny story from today. During a fruitless scouting mission at Brunswick, I'm sitting on the benches sipping my tea when a woman passes by with her two off-leash dogs. We exchange hellos and that's it. I finish up my tea and then start walking back to the car along the dyke. I see her pass by a man a few dozen meters ahead and they are having an animated discussion. They part ways and when I pass by the photographer he says: "be careful, she's nutty. I told her that her dogs needed to be on leash and she said she was going to go get her gun." I'm like: "Wow, really?" Anyway, as I actually have a gun I'm not too worried so keep going and I pass her without any incident (and with just a friendly sniff from her dogs).

At the end of the dyke I see a photographer who was there before I was and asked how his day went and we exchanged pleasantries and I talked with him about the concerns about photographers in the bank. He said he has seen photographers who may be getting too close to the birds but that's that. As we chatted, a jogger comes up with five off-leash dogs. I have seen him before and have chatted with him previously so I'm not concerned but he says: "hey there's no hunting right now." I immediately corrected him and he just shrugged and wasn't going to push it when the photographer snaps back at him: "and all your dogs are off leash!" The dog guy just smiles and then heads off.

Seems like the problem is being a busy body overall!