Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complaints about Ladner swamp brewing in the Delta Optimist

Complaints about Ladner swamp brewing in the Delta Optimist

Within a few days we have two articles relating to use of Ladner swamp in the Delta Optimist.

Here is one where the police responded to someone's complaint about hunters.

https://www.delta-optimist.com/local...-birds-3299261

And now here is one about city staff fielding complaints about photographers at Brunswick Point.

https://www.delta-optimist.com/local...-marsh-3313435

I think we are heading to a point where the nosy people who want people to only experience nature from a paved trail will start to sway city council and the Province.

Gents and ladies, the time is now to make yourself heard or we will lose it. Maybe we can even band together with the photographers? Write Delta city council and the Province.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Complaints about Ladner swamp brewing in the Delta Optimist

Yeah I feel like this problem is getting worse everywhere, Im noticing it more here on Van Isle.

I hear you, and get where you are coming from.... to be fair though: The police had to respond and actually sided with the hunters... The kind of idiots with too much time on their hands that have nothing better to do than calling the police on people target pretty much everyone - I was scuba diving once and got the cops called on me for "trespassing" (I wasn't). I think people like that should be fined for wasting public resources the same way you have to pay for calling an ambulance as a joke.

The first case I have mixed feelings: Some areas ARE sensitive habitat/ecosystem and noone should be trampling over them simply to protect the little that was left and help with restauration. There is a reason you can see so many rare birds there and that should be protected. There are plenty of options to circumvent those areas and still hunt/birdwatch... most hunters do that naturally as you have to "get out"...

So... I do get why the signs are there....

Every season idiots call the cops on hunters acting lawfully only to learn that their prejudices aren't going to be enforced by police. As far as photographers go, they swarm that dyke now and letting them all loose in the marsh would be detrimental to that environment. Not so long ago you could walk your dog off leash and enjoy walking out in the marsh with no one around but not now. It is a sad fact of urbanisation.

It's time to charge police officers who disturb hunters based on calls from idiots who don't know the law.
    These ****ers in uniform have a responsibility not to be morons.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I’d bet it someone who is new to Ladner, if you have lived there during waterfowl season you’d know better.

Delta police and not very educated on firearms, have had a few run ins where they don’t know shyte

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    It's time to charge police officers who disturb hunters based on calls from idiots who don't know the law.
    These ****ers in uniform have a responsibility not to be morons.
    Don’t be ridiculous, it’s obvious you don’t get out much! This has been going on forever, we are getting over run with city folks moving to the burbs and this is what happens! I’m a waterfowler in Delta and the DPD have a policy that no call goes without attending!! I’ve had many calls about my activity and not once did I encounter a member that wasn’t sympathetic to our cause and pretty much all of them were apologetic! K

Yea actually read the first article. The police did us a solid and it was a waste of their time but they were obligated to do the minimal and also educated the complainant. I will take that as a win and the fact it was published in the newspaper also educates them. The danger is that antis will just ignore it or choose to purposely waste police time which leads to questioning resources and then Council starts thinking it may be easier to clamp down somehow. They may not be able to stop hunting but they can pressure the Province. Or the city can enforce the 3 hour parking limit which of course doesn't work for us hunters.

I get that the photographers have been growing in that area but for the most part I've had good conversations with them and at least a couple I talked to also fished and hunted. The same antis who want them out of the swamp would not hesitate to throw us under the bus. From their POV we are all people potentially disturbing wildlife. The photographers are just more visible. I honestly don't see them stamping all over the place - at least not more than us - and they are using long lenses to capture the raptors in flight. The Province could put a ban on movement during hatching season, and that might make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Don’t be ridiculous, it’s obvious you don’t get out much! This has been going on forever, we are getting over run with city folks moving to the burbs and this is what happens! I’m a waterfowler in Delta and the DPD have a policy that no call goes without attending!! I’ve had many calls about my activity and not once did I encounter a member that wasn’t sympathetic to our cause and pretty much all of them were apologetic! K
    "policy that no call goes without attending", that tells me that they are morons.
    But Ok, sorry, I don't hunt Delta waterfowl so it doesn't affect me.
    It's none of my business.
    But I do know people who hunt there and would appreciate cops not disturbing their hunt at all based on a call from some twat who doesn't like it.
    I don't want to hear you bitching when cops start following hunters around and eventually Delta kills all hunting in the city because of a huge waste of police resources and urban enchroachment.
    Leasurely approach like yours is the reason there is no more hunting in most municipalities around the country.
    Cops attend everything in other countries like Saudi Arabia, Lybia, China etc.
    If you want a police state, you've got it.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    "policy that no call goes without attending", that tells me that they are morons.
    But Ok, sorry, I don't hunt Delta waterfowl so it doesn't affect me.
    It's none of my business.
    But I do know people who hunt there and would appreciate cops not disturbing their hunt at all based on a call from some twat who doesn't like it.
    I don't want to hear you bitching when cops start following hunters around and eventually Delta kills all hunting in the city because of a huge waste of police resources and urban enchroachment.
    Leasurely approach like yours is the reason there is no more hunting in most municipalities around the country.
    Cops attend everything in other countries like Saudi Arabia, Lybia, China etc.
    If you want a police state, you've got it.
    Wow, I feel sorry for you, it's clear you don't get it! K