Thread: Traditional archery spring bear hunt.

Traditional archery spring bear hunt.

Hey all,
    One of my hunting plans this year includes trying to take a bear with my recurve. I’ve killed a couple mule deer with a compound bow but really don’t have a ton of bow hunting experience. For any of you that have killed a bear with traditional equipment what tactics did you use? I’m assuming I’ll end up finding an area with good numbers and trying to shoot one on or very near a logging road. I’m shooting every day at the moment but I’m pretty sure I’m going to need to get within 20 yds maybe 25 at the furthest. Any tips or general areas conducive to recurve hunting bears is much appreciated. I’ll likely take a week in early may and set up a wall tent somewhere good.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Traditional archery spring bear hunt.

no different than hunting with a compound. spot and stalk as close as you are comfortable.
    Traditional equipment is different as you better be in good form and have lots of practice at it to hit your mark.
    I have killed a few bears with my recurve and a longbow.
    Heavier arrows with a fixed blade broadhead with good width will make a good wound channel so it bleeds well.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington